It’s baaack! Hotelier André Balazs has put his Soho loft back on the market.
Balazs bought the 4,200-square-foot unit at the New Museum Building, at 158 Mercer St., in 2003 for $5.75 million, according to city records.
By 2007, though, Balazs had put the four-bedroom condo back on the market for $10 million — but had no takers. In 2017, he tried again and listed the loft for $12 million. This newest listing, also for $12 million, was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.
Balazs, who has dated Uma Thurman, is the mastermind behind the Mercer hotel in New York, LA’s storied (but drama-ridden) Chateau Marmont and the Standard hotels in New York, LA and Miami. That influence is reflected throughout the full-floor unit, which is designed for entertaining.
“Balazs’ own additions include extensive built-in bookshelves, a long canvas-covered ‘wall of light’ and a 13th-century Florentine fresco” says the listing, which is marketed by Douglas Elliman’s Oren and Tal Alexander, who also once lived in the building. “The beautifully textured walls and complete design aesthetic gives the space the feel of one of his iconic hotel lobbies.”
Balazs, 63, is trying once again to find a buyer because he doesn’t spend enough time in Manhattan to merit keeping the loft, per the Journal, even though it’s “not the optimum time to sell” thanks to COVID-19 dampening the local real estate market.
Over the years, he has spend between $3 million and $5 million renovating the unit and trying out different features that later end up in his hotels, like heated towel racks.
158 Mercer St., which dates to 1895 but was converted to upscale condos in 1996, boasts amenities like a roof deck, as well as common and private storage.
Rocker Jon Bon Jovi lived in the penthouse of 158 Mercer St. — listing it for $42 million in 2013, and selling for $34 million in 2015. More tragically, past residents have also included the late Mark Madoff, who hanged himself in his home in December 2010 on the second anniversary of his father Bernie’s arrest for orchestrating a massive Ponzi scheme that ruined thousands of lives and stole from many charities.
New York Post
- André Balazs says Chateau Marmont may become members-only club
- André Balazs’ plan to take Chateau Marmont private scorned by locals
- André Balazs shares plan to turn Chateau Marmont into a private club
- Leak from ex-Twitter CEO’s Soho loft damaged artist’s work below: suit
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian’s old Soho loft finds new buyer
- Vanessa Carlton chops price of her incredible Soho loft
- 4 men storm into a Lower Manhattan loft in armed home invasion
- Buy the NYC loft where the Ramones played one of their first shows
- Late director Joel Schumacher’s Greenwich Village loft lists for $4.5M
- Interior designer and hotelier, Ehi Ogbebor shares video of herself in bed with her man MC Oluomo as he celebrates his birthday (video)