A South Dakota company is preparing to start human trials of a pioneering coronavirus treatment derived from the plasma of cows, according to a report.
Scientists at SAB Biotherapeutics injected genetically modified cows with a non-infectious part of the virus that causes COVID-19, causing them to produce natural antibodies against the contagion.
The cows were genetically modified to have partly human immune systems and tests suggest they are now producing antibodies that are four times more potent than those from recovered humans.
“These animals are producing neutralizing antibodies that kill [the novel coronavirus] in the laboratory,” SAB’s CEO, Eddie Sullivan, told CNN.
The resulting drug, called SAB-185, is now expected to begin human trials next month. However, the company did not say how many people would be studied in the clinical trials or how long they would take.
If successful, the therapy “could potentially treat severely ill patients and provide protective antibodies for front-line responders, mission-critical staff, and high-risk populations, such as the elderly and immune-compromised,” Sullivan said in an earlier statement.
SAB-185 was developed from the original Wuhan strain of the virus, but has also “demonstrated highly-potent neutralizing” results against the strain most prevalent in the US, Sullivan said.
Registrations of newly purchased Tesla cars in California reportedly fell…
Newzandar News Newzandar News
- This pineapple-derived cancer drug could help treat COVID-19
- Wahala For Who No Get Fans Way Go Buy You Full Cow – Kidddwaya Shades As He Receives A Full Cow From Fans
- Coronavirus treatment with umbilical cord-derived stem cells shows promise
- New York company to start human trials of nasal drop COVID-19 vaccine
- Desperate Venezuelans turn to cow blood soup during coronavirus lockdown
- Australian coronavirus vaccine clears first phase of human trials
- Nigeria has expressed interest to be part of Coronavirus drug trials – WHO
- It is becoming clear that the value of human life in Nigeria is less than that of a cow – DJ Switch
- Russia announces it has completed human trials of new COVID-19 Vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine records breakthrough in Oxford human trials