Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State has said that he won’t waste a minute in signing the death warrant of the man, who was sentenced to death by a Sharia court for insulting Prophet Muhammad.
Yahaya Sharif-Aminu, a musician, was on August 10 sentenced to death by a Shari’a court for committing alleged blasphemy against the Prophet of Islam in a song he circulated via WhatsApp.
Speaking at a gathering of religious leaders, legal practitioners security personnel and government officials at the Government House, Kano, on Thursday, Ganduje explained that the law of the land provides that the convicted person had the right to appeal within 30 days, which if it elapses and the warrant is brought before him, he will sign it.
He said, “The court has done its job and as a government we have provided the needed security.
“The judgment has taken place and the law of the land allows the person convicted to appeal further within 30 days to the high court and to the Appeal Court and to the Supreme Court as the case may be.
“Should at the end of it the warrant is presented before me, I will not waste time in signing it.
“On the second hand, if he does not appeal within the specified period, I will not spend a minute in signing the death warrant.”
– Newzandar News
- Blasphemy: I wonât waste a minute to sign the execution order – Governor Ganduje speaks on death sentence handed to Kano singer
- Blasphemy: Banky W reacts to signing of Sharif’s death warrant by Ganduje
- Blasphemy: I’m ready to sign death warrant against Kano singer – Ganduje
- Sharif Yahya Aminu: ‘I’m ready to sign death warrant against singer for blasphemy’ – Ganduje
- Governor Ganduje Should Be Sentenced To Death For Collecting Bribe — Aisha Yesufu Balsts The Governor For Saying He Will Sign Death Warrant
- Blasphemy: Law Firm Volunteers To Assist Kano Government In Ensuring Killing Of Musician Accused Of Insulting Prophet Mohammed
- Quench death sentence placed on musician accused of Blasphemy against Prophet Muhammad – SERAP, Lawyers tells Nigerian Govt
- Lawyers Blasts Sharia Court, Demand Reversal Of Death Sentence On Musician Accused Of Blasphemy Against Prophet Muhammad
- NBA Wades Into Case Of Kano Musician Sentenced To Death For Blasphemy
- I Won’t Hesitate To Sign Death Warrant Of Kano Singer – Ganduje