First Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Hon. Joseph Osei Owusu is leaving no stone unturned to ensure programs and policies of the government that will be brought before Members of Parliament (MPs) are approved
“If I need to abdicate my position as First Deputy Speaker before I can partake in voting on the floor of Parliament, I will do so to ensure my government gets majority”, the Bekwai legislator stated in an interview monitored by MyNewsGh.com on Kumasi-based Fox FM.
According to the standing orders of Ghana’s parliament, the Speaker of Parliament or any of the Deputies are not supposed to vote on the floor of the House while the person in question is presiding on an issue.
Speaking to the development, Hon. Joseph Osei Owusu popularly known as Joe Wise said, due to the current number of New Patriotic Party (NPP) Members of Parliament (MPs), he will do everything within the remits of the law to vote even in a situation where he is not supposed to.
“When I am presiding and I see a need for me to vote, I will defy that motion for my Deputy or the Speaker himself to come and preside and I can vote”, Joe Wise told host, Kwaku Kyerematen Nkansah.
Hon. Joseph Osei Owusu however indicated that, the New Patriotic Party (NPP) as it stance, has majority in parliament and therefore government businesses will run smoothly contrary to claims.
“The only independent MP has declared to caucus with us so we clearly has 138 against NDC’s 137”, the NPP lawmaker for Bekwai in the Ashanti Region stated.
- GHS1,500 stolen from another traveller at Kotoka AirportIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 16, 2021A Ghanaian whose Facebook name is given as Kwahu Mayor Koopong has complained bitterly about what he describes as thievery at the Kotoka ...[Read more]
- I was detained in Ghana’s toughest prison – Bulldog opens up about incarcerationIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 16, 2021Artiste Manager Bulldog born Lawrence Nana Asiamah Hanso has disclosed that he was detained in one of the toughest cells in Ghana following his ...[Read more]
- Actress Salma Mumin adjudged ‘liar of the year’ and More awardeesIn Entertainment, Ghana, NewsJanuary 16, 2021Actress Salma Mumin was adjudged liar of the year at this year’s Something Wicked Awards organized by Accra-based Hitz FM. The actress we could ...[Read more]
- Resumption: NANS tells FG to approve COVID-19 support funds for Nigerian varsities, PolysIn COVID-19, Education, NewsJanuary 16, 2021As the federal government directs all schools in Nigeria to resume on January 18, the National Association of Nigerian Students(NANS), has called on ...[Read more]
- Shi’ite: IMN calls for Sheikh Zakzaky, wife’s unconditional release after four years of court’s judgementIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, IMN, under the auspices of Resource Forum of IMN, have called on the President Muhammadu Buhari-led ...[Read more]
- Why IPOB won’t work, recognize Obiozor as Ohanaeze President-General – Nnamdi KanuIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021
- Best new novels of winter 2021: 9 must-reads for fiction loversIn LifestyleJanuary 16, 2021With the cold weather and worsening pandemic keeping us inside this winter, there’s no better escape than a good book. Here are nine I’m particularly ...[Read more]
- Insecurity: Only God can give us victory – Femi AdesinaIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021
- Security operatives kill several bandits in Kaduna villageIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021
- Buhari reacts to death of Abubaka, Sultan of Sokoto’s younger brotherIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021A former governorship aspirant in Lagos State, Babatunde Gbadamosi has narrated his experience with COVID-19. Gbadamosi tested positive for the virus ...[Read more]