The organised labour in Kwara State is worried over what it described as the insincerity of the state government on the issue of implementation of the new minimum wage for workers.
The labour movement said it arrived at the conclusion after a look at the situation surrounding the non-payment of the minimum wage in the state since April 2019, after the bill was signed into law by President Muhammadu Buhari.
This is according to a press statement issued by the body in Ilorin on Thursday.
The statement titled ‘ Insincerity of Government on the Issue of Minimum Wage in Kwara State’ was signed by the state NLC chairman, Aliyu Issa Ore, Comrade Joseph Tunde, Acting chairman, TUC, and Comrade Saliu Suleiman, chairman JNC.
It said the government inaugurated the minimum wage committee on December 29, 2019, but up till the moment, the issue remains inconclusive.
“Out of the 36 states of the federation, over 94 percent has overcome the issue of minimum wage and even provided other welfare packages to the workers of their various states for effective and efficient service delivery.
“It is worrisome, to note that in Kwara state, we are still a merry-go-round on the issue of minimum wage, despite the current allocation of revenue and internally generated revenue in the state.
“The government has resorted to probating and reprobating on the minimum wage issue, all in the sense of denying the workers and the economy of the state a stimulus factor for growth and development of human beings in the state,” the statement added.
It further expressed worry that “the committee at the last meeting rejected attempts to smuggle into the discussion, a table that was not agreed by the labour side on payment of the little amounts as a consequential adjustment for GL-07, and above in the state cannot be accepted by the movement.”
The organised labour, however, passionately appealed to workers in the state to embark on serious prayers against all forces working against the signing and implementation of the minimum wage in the state.
DAILY POST reports that a suit in respect of the controversial minimum wage filed by the state government will come up for further hearing on Thursday, January 14, 2021, at the Akure division of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria, NICN.
- You’ll continue to inspire generations of Ghanaians – John Mahama eulogizes RawlingsIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Former President of Ghana John Dramani Mahama has said that the memory of Jerry John Rawlings countless of generations of Ghanaians. Final burial ...[Read more]
- Reflect on how best Cecilia Marfo’s message can help you – Joyce Blessing toldIn Entertainment, GhanaJanuary 27, 2021Ghanaian male vocalist, Krymi born Henry Nuamah has added his voice to the controversial ongoing bizarre saga between Joyce Blessing and Cecilia ...[Read more]
- Rawlings: An Ewe man’s funeral ‘sadly’ dominated by Akan culture – Social media users lamentIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Gender activist and feminist Felicia Nelson has stated that the funeral of President Jerry John Rawlings should not have been dominated by Akan ...[Read more]
- Celebs must unite and beat up some foolish bloggers who write fake news-Criss Waddle rallies colleaguesIn Entertainment, Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Entertainer and financial muscle behind the AMG Business Criss Waddle have suggested that celebrities need to come together to beat one Ghanaian ...[Read more]
- Get smart Personal Assistants who respect party footsoldiers – Kofi Ofosu Nkansah to new ministersIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Chief Executive Officer of the Accra Digital Centre, Kofi Ofosu Nkansah has appealed to ministers-designate for Education, Health, Interior and ...[Read more]
- Shatta Wale reacts to reports that he’s sacked BulldogIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Dancehall artiste Shatta Wale has denied reports suggesting that he has sacked his Manager Bulldog. There were reports suggesting that the biggest ...[Read more]
- Young genius makes electronic toy car out of fruit drink box and straw (Video)In GossipJanuary 27, 2021A talented young boy has become the star attraction online after a video surfaced of his innovative creation. The little lad has made an electronic ...[Read more]
- Nollywood actor, Ernest Asuzu is deadIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Nigerian Instagram comedian, Debo Adebayo, popularly known as Mr Macaroni has taken a swipe on the Buhari-led administration over its handling of the ...[Read more]
- Policewoman sacked for getting pregnant before marriageIn GossipJanuary 27, 2021A female officer of the Nigeria Police Force has been dismissed for getting pregnant before marriage. The lady identified as Corporal Olajide Omolola ...[Read more]
- Veteran actor, Ernest Asuzu has diedIn NewsJanuary 27, 2021Veteran Nollywood actor Ernest Asuzu is dead. He died on Tuesday evening, January 26. He was said to have fainted and never woke up. ...[Read more]