A Ghanaian journalist has finally come out as Gay on live TV after denying being one for years.
Mr. Ignatius Annor, a former Metro TV broadcast journalist, who now works with Euro News made the announcement in an interview with Joy News via Zoom on Monday, February, 22.
In the interview, he disclosed that the fear of losing his journalism career and the stigma around it were the reasons why he always denied it when confronted about his sexuality.
“This is going to be the very first time that I am using your medium to say that not only am I an activist for the rights of Africa’s sexual minorities, what you will call the LGBTQI community, but I am gay.
“Obviously, I denied it because I was afraid of losing my job, I was working at an incredible Television station in Accra and also for the fear of what would happen to me personally,” Mr Annor said on JoyNews via Zoom.
This comes after LGBT+ Rights Ghana both fundraised and built a new office, which serves as a crucial community centre for queer Ghanaians, sparking outrage in the country.
But the National Coalition for Proper Human Sexual Rights and Family Values (NCPHSRFV), a coalition of various faith leaders and officials that once drew international outrage for running a camp that “treated for homosexuality” have called for its closure.
According to Mr. Annor, that would be a breach of their human rights.
“It doesn’t feel like I am a human being who deserves the right to employment, the right to education, and normally the basic rights to be able to walk, drive around to wherever that I want to go to in Ghana as an openly gay man. It doesn’t feel okay, it feels dehumanised and awful.”
He also recalls after returning to Ghana after studying for his Masters in the UK, to look for employment but none of the media houses were willing to hire him “just because of the stigma that surrounds my community”.
Watch the interview below.
- NYPD, DOT slam proposal to shift authority over crash investigationsIn USAFebruary 24, 2021City council members want to yank crash investigations from the NYPD and put them under the authority of the Department of Transportation — but both ...[Read more]
- Two more mass COVID-19 vaccination sites open in NYCIn USAFebruary 24, 2021Two more mass COVID-19 vaccination sites opened in New York City Wednesday — promising to deliver more doses than any other in the Big Apple. The ...[Read more]
- Sweet’N Low magnate Donald Tober left wife $30M fortune, will showsIn USAFebruary 24, 2021Sweet’N Low magnate Donald Tober, who committed suicide in Manhattan last month, left his wife a $30 million fortune, new court paper show. The ...[Read more]
- ‘Go somewhere else’: Florida officials crack down on spring break amid COVID pandemicIn LifestyleFebruary 24, 2021Florida officials are cracking down on spring-breakers hoping to flee to the state’s beaches amid the pandemic. New restrictions ...[Read more]
- Ayisha Modi – The Barking B*tch Capable Of Fighting With Her Own ShadowIn EntertainmentFebruary 24, 2021By the close of this year, barking b*tch, Ayisha Modi is likely to fight everyone in the entertainment industry. She is even likely to fight with ...[Read more]
- “If Bobrisky Is Beautiful, Let Her Come Out Without Makeup” – Nigerian Transgender, Michelle Page Challenges Bobrisky To A Beauty ContestIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentFebruary 24, 2021Nigerian transgender, Michelle Page has released a video daring Bobrisky to come out without makeup and filter. Michelle said in a video released to ...[Read more]
- Philadelphia airport offers robot food delivery to travelersIn LifestyleFebruary 24, 2021The future is now – at least at the Philadelphia International Airport (PHL). On Monday, the airport launched a robotic food delivery ...[Read more]
- VIDEOS: Kwadwo Safo Jnr’s 35th Car-themed Birthday Cake Is Just Like One Of Their Needless Sophisticated CarsIn EntertainmentFebruary 24, 2021The Chief Executive Officer of Kantanka Automobile, Kwadwo Safo Jnr is celebrating his 35th birthday today, February 24, 2021, and to our shock, his ...[Read more]
- Europa League: Mourinho hails Dele Alli’s performance in Tottenham’s victory against WolfsbergIn SportsFebruary 24, 2021Manchester United head coach, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has suggested that the club are still interested in signing Borussia Dortmund striker, Erling ...[Read more]
- UN says boat with Rohingya refugees adrift without food, waterIn LifestyleFebruary 24, 2021DHAKA, Bangladesh — A group of Rohingya refugees is adrift in a boat in the Andaman Sea without food or water, the United Nations said Wednesday, as ...[Read more]