The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has accused Amotekun, the South West regional security outfit, of intimidating other ethnic groups living and doing businesses in the region.
According to the Islamic organization, members of Amotekun are profiling and intimidating Northerners traveling down south.
MURIC further accused the security outfit of engaging in extra-judicial killings of Yoruba people.
The group’s claim was contained in a statement signed and issued to DAILY POST on Thursday by its director, Prof. Ishaq Akintola.
“Reports reaching us indicate that the South West regional security outfit, Amotekun, has been engaging in extra-judicial killings,” MURIC said.
“Among those killed without proper recourse to law were Akolade Gbadebo, a 400 level student of the University of Ibadan, who was killed on 26th December, 2020. Seven Fulanis were also reported killed at Ayete in Ibarapa North Local Government area of Oyo State on Monday, 11th January, 2021.
“We also have reports that vehicles coming from or going to the North are being stopped by members of the Amotekun corps. They order Hausa-Fulanis to disembark, search them and almost strip them naked.
“MURIC strongly condemns this act of stereotyping of a particular ethnic group.
“The intimidation of Northern travelers violates the spirit and letter of Section 41 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
“We believe that Amotekun can be useful in stemming the tide of insecurity in the South West without targeting any particular ethnic group,” MURIC alleged.
Recall that Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC) had recently warned the Fulani apex socio-cultural organisation, Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) against an alleged “plot” to infiltrate Amotekun.
OPC gave the warning while reacting to MACBAN’s call for inclusion of its members and other ethnic bodies in the outfit.
In a similar development, a South West group, the Yoruba One Voice (YOV), had called on the Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu to, without further delay inaugurate the Amotekun in the state.
The group made the call while expressing concern about the spate of insecurity, wondering why it took the Governor “almost a year to inaugurate the outfit”.
Amotekun, with the motto ‘zero tolerance to crime’, was founded on January 9, 2020 by the six governors of the South West Nigeria for the purpose of curbing insecurity in the region.
- The solution to the problems of Zongos is not Astro Turfs – Suhuyini poohs poohs Akufo-Addo initiativeIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 21, 2021Lawmaker of Tamale North Alhaji Alhassan Sayibu Suhuyini has disclosed that the solution to the teething problems of Zongo communities in the country ...[Read more]
- Don Davies mother breaks down in tears as she calls out Reno Omokri and deeper life members for allegedly threatening her (Video)In Celebrity NewsJanuary 21, 2021Deborah Okezie, mother of former JSS1 Student of deeper life high school has called out Reno Omokri and deeper life members for allegedly threatening ...[Read more]
- Davido’s babymama, Chioma sparks breakup rumour again after liking controversial postIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 21, 2021Nigerian singer, Davido’s babymama, Chioma Avril has sparked breakup rumour again after liking controversial post on Instagram. A motivational ...[Read more]
- You Don’t Need Your Friends To Be Successful – Actress Didi EkanemIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 21, 2021Nollywood actress Didi Ekanem has given reasons why strangers support someone’s business than the people they know. The actress took to her Insta ...[Read more]
- ”Hushpuppi is his role model” – Reactions as man flaunts his customized Louis Vuitton carIn Viral News, World NewsJanuary 21, 2021South African man who seems to be a lover of everything Louis Vuitton has caused a stir on social media after he posted his customized car. The man ...[Read more]
- Buy A Piece of Land in Lagos with as Low as N10,000 per square meterIn NewsJanuary 21, 2021In response to the yearnings of its prospective clients living in Nigeria and abroad, Arc-View Investment Limited has launched a New Year Promo Offer ...[Read more]
- Suicide bombing in Iraq kills six and injures over 20 people (Photos)In NewsJanuary 21, 2021At least six people have been killed and over 20 others injured in a suicide bombing at a crowded commercial area in Iraq’s capital, ...[Read more]
- EPL: What Solskjaer said about Pogba after Man United’s 2-1 win against FulhamIn EPL, SportsJanuary 21, 2021Manchester United boss, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has said that midfielder, Paul Pogba, played ‘very well,’ against Fulham in the Premier League on ...[Read more]
- First photos of President Biden resuming at Oval office after his inaugurationIn NewsJanuary 21, 2021US President Joe Biden has been pictured for the first time resuming at the Oval Office following his inauguration on Wednesday, January 20. ...[Read more]
- Sexual abuse: Don Davisâ mother, Deborah calls out Reno Omokri and Deeper Life Church fanatics (video)In NewsJanuary 21, 2021Don Davis’ mother, Deborah Okezie has called out former presidential spokesperson Reno Omokri and Deeper Life church fanatics who she says have made ...[Read more]