The International Press Center, IPC, has called for the immediate release of Kufre Carter, a sports presenter with XL 106.9 FM in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.
According to reports, Carter is allegedly being detained by the Department of State Services over a leaked telephone conversation he had with a medical doctor on the method deployed by the Akwa Ibom State government in handling the spread of dreaded COVID-19 pandemic in the state.
Lanre Arogundade, Director, IPC in a statement made available to Newzandar News, described the detention as a gross violation of Carter’s rights, the Nigerian laws and all democratic tenets.
“The recurring developments underscore the remarkable fact that even after twenty years of ceaseless democracy, the government can still create subtle censorships to muzzle journalists and other independent voices at the faintest criticism,” Mr. Arogundade lamented.
While calling for the unconditional release of the detained journalist, IPC stated that it had become pertinent to put ‘an end to all forms of impunity against the media.’
The DSS is yet to react to the reports.
- IPC demands immediate release of detained Akwa-Ibom journalist
- ‘Please let me see my child” Mother of journalist, Kufre Carter allegedly detained by the DSS in Akwa Ibom , cries out (video)
- IPC decries kidnap of female journalist in Abia
- Vivian Ottih: Thread cautiously – YCN, IPC warn Uzodinma over suspension of Imo journalist
- IPC condemns attack, brutal killing of journalist
- Trouble As Akwa Ibom Coalition Storms UN, Demands Ibom Republic (video)
- Akwa Ibom coalition storms United Nations, demands Ibom Republic
- Akwa Ibom State Gov, Mr. Emmanuel announced immediate shutdown of all livestock markets in State
- COVID-19: Gov. Emmanuel orders immediate shutdown of livestock markets in Akwa Ibom
- Christ Embassy drags Akwa Ibom state government to court over detained pastor