Companies that cater to the “new normal” of working and shopping from home are rushing to go public.
2020 could turn out to be the best year for the IPO market in two decades. Newly public companies have piggybacked on the broader stock market, which made a soaring recovery in spring and summer after COVID-19 and the ensuing lockdowns derailed the longest bull run in history.
As investors shifted their focus to equities, private companies searching for funding took notice.
“A lot of companies sitting on the sidelines waiting to go public really used this as an opportunity,” said Lindsey Bell, chief investment strategist at Ally Invest.
Through August, 143 companies went public and brought in more than $50.4 billion in proceeds, the most since 2014. Ally Invest projects up to 206 companies could go public by the end of the year, with proceeds from IPOs hitting $72 billion.
Technology companies have been well represented in the IPO market this year, especially companies that are positioned to take advantage of the shift to working and shopping from home. Snowflake, a cloud-based data company, saw its stock value double from its initial price, making it worth more than $70 billion in its debut. The company is backed by Salesforce and Berkshire Hathaway.
Software company Sumo Logic gained 22 percent in its debut. Internet-based insurer Lemonade also saw its stock value double in its debut in July.
“The fundamentals really are there for these types of companies to do well and to do well without significant economic growth,” Bell said.
Still, it’s difficult to determine which IPOs will be booms or busts, Bell said. Investors have to really think about the risks and be prepared for a long-term relationship with the company, rather than trade on its ups and downs.
About half of US-based stocks that went public from 2015 to 2019 were trading below their IPO prices a year later, Bell said. Those stocks include well-known companies like Uber, Fitbit and Blue Apron.
The IPO market will likely remain strong, Bell said, “as long as the market behaves.” The broader market has pulled back in September as the economic recovery slows down.
Investors are facing a wide range of uncertainties, including the lingering virus pandemic and political squabbling about additional financial aid, as well as the upcoming presidential election.
“Reality is sinking in for a lot of investors,” Bell said. “We’ve come so far so fast.”
New York Post
- Video of Nigerians in Scotland calling President Buhari a bad boy surfaces online, Watch video hereOctober 25, 2020Nigerians who are outside the country is not giving up at all as they keep on protesting until the government will listen to them and reach out to ...[Read more]
- Femi Kuti encourages BBNaija for her act of kindness towards the needyOctober 25, 2020The wife of popular Nigerian musician Femi Kuti has out of her heart showered Big Brother Nigeria star, Erica, with divine blessings for her act of ...[Read more]
- Davido advises protesters from burning down police stations, burning buses and looting shopsOctober 25, 2020CEO of DMW Davido has taken to social media to condemn protesters burning down police stations, burning buses and looting shops. According to Davido, ...[Read more]
- See what Nengi told her fansOctober 25, 2020Former BBNaija housemate Nengi has admonished her fans to desist from insulting people on her behalf. Nengi According to her, they should rather show ...[Read more]
- See what is going on between BBNaija Prince and EricaOctober 25, 2020Former Big Brother Naija Housemates, Prince and Erica have got fans talking after a photo of the two from a video call hit the internet. ...[Read more]
- ENDSARS: Nigerians In Paris Stage Their Protest In Solidarity With Those At Home (+Photos)October 25, 2020The protest to see a conclusion to police brutalities looks positive and unabated in spite of the administration intrigues. So as to end it at home, ...[Read more]
- See Gorgeous Photos From Ex-BBNaija Housemate, Tolanibaj’s BirthdayOctober 25, 2020Previous Big Brother Naija housemate, Tolanibaj turned 27 5 days prior and denoted her birthday at a private gathering. Tragically, she was unable to ...[Read more]
- Fearless Ibrah Says Kennedy Agyapong Will Go Mad Or Commit Suicide Before 10th JanuaryOctober 25, 2020Ghanaian mogul Ibrahim Dauda prevalently known as Ibrah One is attempting to place himself into inconvenience again as he has begun another battle he ...[Read more]
- Bobrisky Says He Is Done With Makeup (+Photo)October 25, 2020Well known Nigerian crossdresser Bobrisky has guaranteed his fans to avoid cosmetics and serve them with his natural beauty. As per Bobrisky, he will ...[Read more]
- Man Calls Out Comedian Ebiye For Selling A Benz He Purchased From HimOctober 25, 2020A man @MrPsalms on Twitter, has accused Comedian Ebiye of selling the Benz he purchased from him using a loan and losing the cash to forex exchanging ...[Read more]