Vladimir Putin President of The Russian Federation
Iran must not give in to US “provocations”, Russia said on Wednesday, following months of mounting tension between Washington and Tehran.
“We are urging maximum restraint and caution, not to give in to provocations and aggressive rhetoric,” Russia foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova told reporters while urging Iran not to give in to the US provocations.
Tehran and Washington have traded barbs over a spate of incidents in the past year involving their forces in the sensitive waters of the Gulf.
Their latest high-seas confrontation came on April 15, when the United States said 11 Iranian boats harassed its navy ships in what it described as the international waters of the “Arabian Gulf”.
US President Donald Trump tweeted that he had ordered the US Navy to “shoot down and destroy any and all Iranian gunboats if they harass our ships at sea”.
Iran’s president replied on Wednesday that “the Americans should know that this gulf is called the Persian Gulf, not the New York Gulf or the Washington Gulf”.
Zakharova stressed that both countries should act in “strict accordance with international norms and regulations.”
“Moscow has always considered stability and security in the Gulf to be a key factor that influences the situation in the wider regional context,” she added.
- Ogun: Eight suspected cultists arrested for reportedly killing rivalIn Local NewsJanuary 18, 2021The police in Ogun State have arrested eight suspected cultists over the death of a man in Ifo area of the state. The police said they made some ...[Read more]
- HURIWA asks Nigerians to protest, boycott NIN/SIM registrationIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021The Human Rights Writers Association Nigeria, HURIWA, on Monday, urged Nigerians to massively boycott the National Identification Number, NIN, and ...[Read more]
- 60-year-old man accused of raping two minors escape mob attackIn Local NewsJanuary 18, 2021The Rivers State Police Command has confirmed the killing of a police officer attached to Borikiri Police Divisional headquarters in Port Harcourt ...[Read more]
- BREAKING: Boko Haram: Troops battle terrorists in YobeIn Boko Haram, NewsJanuary 18, 2021The 12-man judicial panel of inquiry set up by Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has announced commencement of its sittings. DAILY POST recalls that ...[Read more]
- Nigerian govt releases N10bn for COVID-19 vaccineIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, National leader of the All Progressives Party (APC), has commiserated with the family, friends, relations and associates of the ...[Read more]
- Eight-year-old boy shot in Bronx gated communityIn USAJanuary 18, 2021An 8-year-old boy was shot at a gated community in the Bronx Monday. It happened at 5 Fordham Hill Oval, a University Heights co-op community billed ...[Read more]
- Stay away from churches – CAN tells sick and old peopleIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has advised sick and too old people to stay away from worship centres following the second wave of ...[Read more]
- Actor Olatayo Amokade ‘Ijebu’ buys wife a carIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021Actor Olatayo Amokade a.k.a Ijebu has gifted his wife a car. The actor who shared a photo of his wife posing with the car gift, asked her ...[Read more]
- Leicester City vs Chelsea: Lampard gives injury updates ahead of EPL clashIn EPL, SportsJanuary 18, 2021Leicester City vs Chelsea: Lampard gives injury updates ahead of EPL clash Chelsea manager, Frank Lampard, has confirmed Andreas Christensen is ...[Read more]
- End SARS: Three months after inauguration, Oyo panel announces commencement of sittingsIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, National leader of the All Progressives Party (APC), has commiserated with the family, friends, relations and associates of the ...[Read more]