Luca Attanasio, Italy’s ambassador to the Democratic Republic of Congo has been killed during an attempted kidnap on a United Nations convoy in the restive east of the vast central African country.
A spokesperson for Virunga national park said the convoy from the World Food Programme was attacked at about 10.15am local time (0815 GMT) during an attempted kidnap near the town of Kanyamahoro, about 10 miles north of the regional capital, Goma.
The carabinieri police officer who was providing security for the ambassador and a third person were killed in the incident.
It was not immediately clear who was behind the attack, but the road on which the convoy was travelling is a frequent site of attacks by bandits and armed militia.
The Italian foreign ministry said in a statement;
“It is with deep sorrow that the foreign ministry confirms the death today in Goma of the Italian ambassador to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Luca Attanasio, and of a policemen from the carabinieri.
“The ambassador and the soldier were travelling in a car in a convoy of Monusco, the United Nations Organisation stabilisation mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo.”
Attanasio died of his wounds in the UN hospital in Goma. The 43-year-old, who was married with three children, had been Italy’s head of mission in Kinshasa since 2017 and was made ambassador in 2019.
- U20 AFCON: Percious Boah’s lone goal sends Ghana into finalIn Ghana, SportsMarch 1, 2021Percious Boah scored a brilliant free-kick in the first-half against Gambia on Monday evening to send Ghana into the final of the U20 Africa Cup of ...[Read more]
- Most Celebrities Are Desperate For Endorsement Deals – Nollywood Actress Nnaji CharityIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentMarch 1, 2021Nollywood actress, Charity Nnaji, has come for her colleagues in a new post shared via her Instagram Story. The film star succinctly wrote that a lot ...[Read more]
- Dorathy launches underwear clothing line, names it after her mother (Video)In Celebrity NewsMarch 1, 2021Popular brand influencer, Dorathy Banchor has launched an underwear clothing line that she named after her mother, Helen. Despite finishing in first ...[Read more]
- Gay poly throuple makes history, lists 3 dads on a birth certificateIn LifestyleMarch 1, 2021Three isn’t a crowd for these dads. A gay, polyamorous California throuple made history in 2017 when they became the first family in the state ...[Read more]
- ‘We turn a blind eye’: Boston’s police remain largely whiteIn LifestyleMarch 1, 2021BOSTON — For years, Boston city leaders have vowed to diversify the police department so it looks more like the community it serves. Yet the police ...[Read more]
- Man narrates his ordeal after being arrested alongside others while clubbing at Cubana nightclubIn Viral NewsMarch 1, 2021A Nigerian man has shared his experience after being arrested alongside others while clubbing at Cubana nightclub in Lagos. @armchaircritic_ who ...[Read more]
- Andrew Cuomo ex Sandra Lee reacts to latest sexual harassment claimIn USAMarch 1, 2021Sandra Lee reacted to the latest sexual harassment allegations against her former longtime boyfriend, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, with just three ...[Read more]
- “Your lies no dey tire you” – Reactions as Nengi calls herself ‘Tomboy’ in another throwback photo at age 10In Celebrity NewsMarch 1, 2021Popular brand influencer, Nengi Rebecca Hampson has got people talking after sharing a throwback photo of herself at the age of 10. This is coming ...[Read more]
- It is not considered polite to borrow money from a lady – British man tells Nigerian menIn GossipMarch 1, 2021A British gentleman identified as Grant Harrold has taken to microblogging platform, Twitter to advise Nigerian men on a key etiquette to note and ...[Read more]
- DeRosa omits Cuomo sexual harassment, nursing home scandals in staff emailIn USAMarch 1, 2021Gov. Cuomo’s top aide, Melissa DeRosa, urged administration underlings to just keep doing their jobs during this “beyond challenging” time — in a ...[Read more]