Nigeria national team coach, Gernot Rohr has confirmed that Nigeria will take on Lesotho in the 2022 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, in Lagos State next month.
According to Rohr, it will be an opportunity for players like Joe Aribo and Leon Balogun who were not born in Nigeria to get to know Lagos but the team will need to be provided with top notch security for proceedings to run smoothly.
The three-time African champions will play Lesotho on March 30 after their encounter against the Republic of Benin three days earlier.
This will be the first time the Super Eagles will play in Lagos after almost 10 years although the Covid-19 pandemic means the stadium will be an empty one.
“Yes, it’s official. We will play in Lagos against Lesotho on March 30, for the sixth and final day of qualifying for the next Afcon,” Rohr told Europe1, as per Football 365.
“It will probably be in an empty stadium. Teams are working on the lawn. I inspected it all. The traffic in Lagos is terrible, but we are promised an escort between our hotel and the stadium, or even to close the road to allow us to avoid traffic jams.
“The other day, I took an hour to make the trip. It’s a bit much before a game.
“The idea of ??playing in Lagos is good for the players. Some do not know this city at all, this is the case of Leon Balogun, Aribo or others, who were born in Europe.
“They will discover this crazy city, with 19 million inhabitants. It is important that we have security, escorts to move around and a good lawn to play. We are working on all these aspects.
“We know that a lot of work is done, that the lawn is watered every day and that machines have been ordered to mow the grass well.
“As for hotels, there is no problem, there are a lot of them in Lagos. We will have the “fitness”
at the hotel, which we did not have on the previous day in Benin City.
“We will be very close to Benin. We risk making the trip to Cotonou, where we play our match of the 5th day on March 27, by boat, because the road is not good and the crossing only lasts two hours.”
Nigeria still lead Group L of the AFCON qualifying table with eight points and need a win in either of their games in March to seal a place in the continental showpiece.
- No structure in Nollywood, industry all about money – Swanky JKAIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentMarch 1, 2021Ex-housemate of Big Brother Naija, BBNaija season II, Uriel Oputa, has lambasted those mocking Chioma over her undefined relationship with music ...[Read more]
- Nigerian woman surprises husband on his birthday as he wakes up to see PS4, sneakersIn GossipMarch 1, 2021A Nigerian woman identified on Twitter @Queenyetty1_ has revealed how she organised a special surprise for her husband on his birthday. Her hubbie ...[Read more]
- Man dragged for demanding respect from new intern who referred his boss by nameIn Viral NewsMarch 1, 2021A Twitter user has been dragged to filth for cautioning a new intern who referred to his boss by name on the first day on the job. According to a ...[Read more]
- ‘They’ can use the vaccine to ‘eliminate’ you -ASEPA advises Speaker BagbinIn Ghana, NewsMarch 1, 2021The Alliance for Social Equity and Public Accountability (ASEPA) Executive Director Mensah Thompson has suggested to Speaker of Parliament Alban ...[Read more]
- NJ law prevents cops from telling parents about kids’ first-time weed bustIn USAMarch 1, 2021New Jersey minors caught with weed or booze won’t have to worry about getting grounded by mom and dad — as a new law legalizing marijuana bars police ...[Read more]
- Appointment of Agric Minister designate Afriyie Akoto blocked for exhibiting arroganceIn Ghana, NewsMarch 1, 2021Reports from some section of the media indicates that the Appointments Committee have blocked the appointment of some Minister-designates. Among the ...[Read more]
- Mother charged with murder of her five childrenIn Local NewsMarch 1, 2021The wife of a pastor in the Adamawa State capital, Yola, has dragged her husband to court over allegations of sleeping with women right inside his ...[Read more]
- Gloves not needed in vaccination – NDC’s Omane Boamah defends public nurses against criticsIn Ghana, NewsMarch 1, 2021Former Communications Minister Dr. Omane Boamah has jumped to the defense of health officials who injected the President, his Vice, and their ...[Read more]
- Walk Into The Month Flexing And Pressing Necks In These Gorgeous Aso Ebi StylesIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentMarch 1, 2021Welcome to the month of March our amazing and fabulous KOKOnstas we hope you are excited to take on the new month and the opportunities that it comes ...[Read more]
- Check Out These 7 Gorgeous Ankara Puff Sleeve StylesIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentMarch 1, 2021Step out into your greatness and make a statement with any of the gorgeous Ankara Puff sleeve styles in these articles. Leave anybody and everybody ...[Read more]