The leadership of Ijaw Youths Council (IYC) Worldwide has raised the alarm over incessant killings, sea piracy, kidnappings and other criminal activities perpetrated by gunmen along the Bonny and Antoni waterways in River State.
In a statement, signed and issued by the President, Ijaw Youths Council (IYC) Worldwide, Peter Timothy Igbifa, to DAILY POST via email on Wednesday, the group described the recent criminal activities as alarming, barbaric and saddening.
The statement which noted that the people now travel with fears, adding that it has also affected economic activities, especially as most people engage in buying and selling as their means of livelihood.
The statement reads in part,” We have watched with chagrin, the incessant killings, sea piracy, kidnappings and other criminal activities perpetrated by gunmen along the Bonny and Andoni waterways in Rivers State.
“These traveling routes have become death traps because these daredevil marauding beasts have converted them to their conquered territories operating at will without fear of any security interventions.
“Just recently, two passengers were reported dead and many others missing after pirates seized two commercial boats around Dema Abbey Community on Bonny waterways. This unfortunate development led Bonny residents to troop to the streets in protest.
“In fact, the criminal activities along these waterways are alarming, barbaric and saddening. Our people travel in fear. It has negatively impacted on economic activities especially as most people engage in buying and selling as their means of livelihood. This means that they must travel to Port Harcourt through the waterways to bring in goods to their various communities. Unfortunately, they now travel at the mercy of merciless bandits.
“There is an urgent need to sanitise the waterways and dismantle the camps of these criminals. We are calling on the state and local government to collaborate with security agencies to ensure the safety of our people.
“The military and the marine police should identify the red zones on the waterways and create checkpoints to tackle this criminality. There should also be regular and constant patrols along the affected waterways to restore the confidence of travelers.
“We are calling on the chairpersons of Andoni and Bonny local government areas to be more proactive instead engaging in reactionary approaches each time these criminals attack their victims. They should explore the possibility of constituting youths into local vigilant groups and empower them to patrol the waterways.
“The council under my leadership cannot fold its hands and watch our people suffer helplessly in the hands of daredevil criminals. Therefore, we are working with the Eastern Zone to activate a robust security plan and strategy to assist the government in tackling this menace.
“We are warning youths to desist from crime and embrace legitimate means of livelihood. Enough of this senseless and heartless attacks on our innocent mothers, fathers and daughters who are working hard to make a living.”
- Shatta Wale reacts to reports that he’s sacked BulldogIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Dancehall artiste Shatta Wale has denied reports suggesting that he has sacked his Manager Bulldog. There were reports suggesting that the biggest ...[Read more]
- Young genius makes electronic toy car out of fruit drink box and straw (Video)In GossipJanuary 27, 2021A talented young boy has become the star attraction online after a video surfaced of his innovative creation. The little lad has made an electronic ...[Read more]
- Nollywood actor, Ernest Asuzu is deadIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Nigerian Instagram comedian, Debo Adebayo, popularly known as Mr Macaroni has taken a swipe on the Buhari-led administration over its handling of the ...[Read more]
- Policewoman sacked for getting pregnant before marriageIn GossipJanuary 27, 2021A female officer of the Nigeria Police Force has been dismissed for getting pregnant before marriage. The lady identified as Corporal Olajide Omolola ...[Read more]
- Woman pours hot water on her co-wife and 4-year-old stepdaughter in KanoIn NewsJanuary 27, 2021Sha’awanatu Muhmmad The Kano State Police Command has arrested a 30-year-old woman, Hauwa Auwal, who allegedly poured hot water on her husband’s ...[Read more]
- Osun police identify one of the DSS operatives allegedly involved in killing of policemanIn NewsJanuary 27, 2021One of the Department of State Services operatives who is allegedly involved in the killing of a policeman in Osun state, has been ...[Read more]
- If you fall under anointing and break anything, you will pay – Pastor warns church members (Video)In GossipJanuary 27, 2021A Nigerian pastor has issued a warning to his church members who are fond of falling under the anointing and breaking church properties. In a ...[Read more]
- Reduction on imported vehicles duties to begin next week – CustomsIn NewsJanuary 27, 2021The Nigeria Customs Service on Tuesday January 26, announced that a slash on imported vehicles duties will begin next week. ...[Read more]
- Nigerian woman expresses regret after finding out the baby she abandoned at age 2 is now a kingIn GossipJanuary 27, 2021A woman simply known as Ngozi has cried out in regret for treating her husband unfairly and abandoning her baby many years ago. She revealed that she ...[Read more]
- “She is a just friend” – Ned Nwoko clears the air on affair with Zambian mistressIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 27, 2021Popular politician, Ned Nwoko has cleared the air on his move to marry an eighth wife, after an alleged affair with a Zambian, Phyllis Thompson. It ...[Read more]