WASHINGTON — A U.S. judge early Sunday blocked the Trump administration from requiring Apple Inc and Alphabet Inc’s Google to remove Chinese-owned messaging app WeChat for downloads by late Sunday.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler in San Francisco said in an order that WeChat users who filed a lawsuit “have shown serious questions going to the merits of the First Amendment claim, the balance of hardships tips in the plaintiffs’ favor.”
Her 22-page order added the prohibitions “burden substantially more speech than is necessary to serve the government’s significant interest in national security, especially given the lack of substitute channels for communication.”
On Friday, the U.S. Commerce Department had issued a order citing national security grounds to block the app from U.S. app stores owned by Tencent Holding’s and the Justice Department had urged Beeler not to block the order. Tencent and the Justice Department did not immediately comment.
Beeler’s preliminary injunction also blocked the Commerce order that would have barred other transactions with WeChat in the United States that could have dramatically degraded the site’s usability for current U.S. users or potentially made it unusable. The U.S. Commerce Department did not immediately comment.
WeChat has had an average of 19 million daily active users in the United States, analytics firms Apptopia said in early August. It is popular among Chinese students, Americans living in China and some Americans who have personal or business relationships in China.
The Justice Department said blocking the order would “frustrate and displace the president’s determination of how best to address threats to national security.”
Beeler wrote “certainly the government’s overarching national-security interest is significant. But on this record — while the government has established that China’s activities raise significant national security concerns — it has put in scant little evidence that its effective ban of WeChat for all U.S. users addresses those concerns.”
WeChat is an all-in-one mobile app that combines services similar to Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram and Venmo. The app is an essential part of daily life for many in China and boasts more than 1 billion users.
The Justice Department also argued that WeChat users could switch to other apps or platforms.
The WeChat Users Alliance that had sued praised the ruling “as an important and hard-fought victory” for “millions of WeChat users in the U.S.”
Michael Bien, a lawyer for the users, said “the United States has never shut down a major platform for communications, not even during war times. There are serious First Amendment problems with the WeChat ban, which targets the Chinese American community.”
He added the order “trampled on their First Amendment guaranteed freedoms to speak, to worship, to read and react to the press, and to organize and associate for numerous purposes.”
Beeler also noted “there are obvious alternatives to a complete ban, such as barring WeChat from government devices.
She added “The regulation — which eliminates a channel of communication without any apparent substitutes — burdens substantially more speech than is necessary to further the government’s significant interest.”
Separately, the Commerce Department late Saturday said it was delaying enforcement of another order issued Friday that would also have banned U.S. app stores from offering TikTok starting late Sunday.
The one-week delay came after U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday blessed a deal with TikTok owner ByteDance and U.S. companies Oracle Corp and Walmart Inc to create a new company to handle TikTok’s U.S. operations
New York Post
- Nollywood actor, Clem Ohameze Opens Up As He Details His Experience With Hooligans Who Assaulted Him In UyoOctober 27, 2020Famous Nollywood actor, Clem Ohameze has at long last opened up as he details his experience with hooligans who assaulted him in Uyo a week ago. He ...[Read more]
- 19-year-old Girl aAddicted To Married Men, Shares Her Sad StoryOctober 27, 2020A 19-year-old young lady who is thinking that its hard to oppose wedded men due to the endowments she gets from them, has shouted out for help. The ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Rapper, Falz Celebrates his 30th Birthday Today (+Photo)October 27, 2020Nigerian rapper, Folarin Falana prevalently realized as Falz is celebrating his 30th birthday celebration today, October 27th. The artist shared the ...[Read more]
- Ebonyi State Police Arrest Couple Who Chained 8-year-old House helpOctober 27, 2020Agents of the Ebonyi State Police Command have captured a couple, Philip and Agatha Iboko, for supposedly tormenting their eight-year-old househelp, ...[Read more]
- The 9 Brigade Of The Nigerian Army Arrest Corporal Who Flogged A Lady At ATM Stand In LagosOctober 27, 2020The 9 Brigade of the Nigerian Army has captured a Corporal, Omoh F, who was caught on video beating a lady at an Oshodi part of the United Bank of ...[Read more]
- Residents Cart Away #Covid-19 Palliatives In Abuja (+Video)October 27, 2020A few occupants of Abuja who raged a stockroom in the Gwagwalada Area gathering in the Federal Capital Territory on Monday October 26, to truck ...[Read more]
- EndSARS: Let’s Continue To Spread Awareness – DJ CuppyOctober 26, 2020DJ Cuppy has taken to online media to encourage Nigerians to proceed with the protest against SARS and police brutality in the nation. As per her, ...[Read more]
- #EndSARS: Famous Nigerian comedian AY Blasts Those Asking Why No Celebrity Died During ProtestsOctober 26, 2020Famous Nigerian comedian, Ayo Makun better known as AY, has gone hard on individuals inquiring as to why no big name died during #EndSARS fights held ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Man Reveals How An Iron protector Saved His Shop From Being Looted In Imo State (+Photos)October 26, 2020A Nigerian businessman, Chima Smart Nwaneri, has taken to Twitter to uncover how an iron defender kept his shop from being burglarized in Owerri, Imo ...[Read more]
- Popular Nigerian Cross-dresser, Bobrisky Reveals Two Things He Can Never DoOctober 26, 2020Nigerian cross-dresser, Okuneye Idris better realized as Bobrisky has uncovered two things he can never be seen doing. He made this disclosure in ...[Read more]