Public Advocate Jumaane Williams rolled out a vision last week he calls “Redefining Public Safety” — an earnest effort to flesh out what the less-extreme de-policing advocates want. But the better name is “Eliminating Public Safety.”
“People want to feel safe. Very often the thing that’s offered is simply more policing,” Williams lamented last week. “That’s a narrative that needs to change.”
Huh? Through Sept. 6, the number of people shot is nearly double last year’s figure (1,288 vs. 653). Many survived, thank goodness, but homicides are still up 35 percent from 2019. Burglaries are up 41 percent; auto thefts, 61 percent.
And the quality of life in the city, with vagrants and druggies terrorizing communities, is the worst in decades — a key reason people are fleeing.
Yet Williams wants less policing.
Not all his views are entirely off-base. It would be great if someone other than cops could handle crises of people with mental-health issues. Police aren’t mental-health experts or social workers, and don’t want to be.
He calls for “strengthening” the “community-based mental-health infrastructure,” which sounds fine (but no Thrive, please). Yet he also wants to “minimize” hospitalization, when it’s clear that more, not less, of the severely mentally ill should be in hospitals — the city’s shortage of psychiatric beds is a problem.
More important: His other alternatives to policing are downright absurd — exposing the hollowness of the entire de-policing approach. To Williams, for instance, gun violence isn’t a criminal matter; it’s a “public-health crisis.” To address it, he’d deploy “credible messengers,” “community groups” and “violence interrupters.”
He’d also make housing a “human right” (never mind supply) and “question” the city’s “over-reliance” on law enforcement in the subways. Feel safer yet?
In fact, more policing was the key to reining in violence during the pre-Giuliani bad old days. Two Democrats — Mayor David Dinkins and City Council Speaker Peter Vallone Sr. — added 5,000 cops to the force after murders peaked at 2,262 in 1990; Mayor Rudy Giuliani added thousands more. Upshot: Before the 2020 spike, murders since then fell 86 percent.
Meanwhile, Williams has spent much of his political life pushing for “reforms” (the rollback of broken windows policing, the emptying of jails, etc.) that have fueled the current wave of violence.
Ironically, he claims he’s looking out for minorities, yet they’re the biggest victims of his ideas. And they know it: For example, 80 percent of American blacks want more police in their areas, or at least as much as they have now, a recent Gallup poll showed. So do 83 percent of Hispanics.
Yes, many blacks and Hispanics want changes in policing and the criminal-justice system — but “de-policing” is just a bid to pawn off lefty fantasies as real answers.
New York Post
- Meet the hardworking Destiny Etiko, She has starred in over 200 movies in 6 yearsOctober 29, 2020Destiny Etiko, well known in the Nigerian movie industry, is not only known for her talent and beautiful curves but also a hardworking Nollywood ...[Read more]
- You disappointed the childhood memories you gave in movies, Davido blast Desmond Elliot over viral videoOctober 29, 2020Davido, a popular Nigerian musician and fiance of Chioma Avril Rowland, has voiced out on the viral video of Desmond Elliot, condemning the usage of ...[Read more]
- Former BBNaija Housemate Praise Says He Never Pass Up An Opportunity To Dance With A Beautiful LadyOctober 29, 2020Previous BBNaija housemate Praise have that noted for his exceptional moving aptitudes as he is a full-time artist and pacific dance hall master. In ...[Read more]
- Watch Moment Nigerian Soldiers Lead Calabar Curfew Violators In Singing Praises To GodOctober 29, 2020A video making trends online show a gathering of curfew violators in Calabar, Cross River being driven by a gathering of warriors in voicing out ...[Read more]
- See Throwback Photos Of Nollywood Actress Destiny Etiko Before Her FameOctober 29, 2020It is without a doubt that Destiny Etiko is one of the fast-rising actresses in the movie industry. Although she joined the movie industry many years ...[Read more]
- Meet Actress Doris Samuel Who Is Making It After Losing Her Leg At The Age of 13October 29, 2020Doris Samuel Akonanya is one actress who represents certainty and sprightliness despite the fact that she is in a difficult situation. The actress ...[Read more]
- ‘”Your mother is more beautiful than Ned and Regina” See recent Photo Of Somadina’s MotherOctober 29, 2020Nollywood actor Somadina Adinma has caused a stagger on social media after photographs of his mom sprung up on the web. Soma consistently compliments ...[Read more]
- Reno Omokri Celebrates Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For becoming The First African To Head World Trade OrganizationOctober 28, 2020Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has become the first lady and African to head the esteemed global body, the World Trade Organization – WTO. She achieved by ...[Read more]
- LekkiMassacre: Mike Ezuruonye Lambast Nigerian Government (photo)October 28, 2020A ton of disclosures have been coming up after the awful military shooting occurrence that happened at Lekki Tollgate in to Lagos. Nollywood actor, ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels And Her Husband Ned Nwoko Dine Like Royals (+Video)October 28, 2020Regina Daniels and her granddad like husband, Ned Nwoko, has caused a huge mix via social media after a video of how they take their morning meal ...[Read more]