Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano has relaxed the lockdown order imposed on the state by President Buhari even as the state has witnessed a spike in the number of COVID-19 cases in recent times.
Recall that on April 27, the President imposed a total lockdown on the state to allow health officials to monitor the situation in the state.
At a press conference held in the state government house on Saturday evening, May 2, Governor Ganduje said there would be free movement in the state on Mondays and Thursdays between 10am and 4pm.
He also announced that all the major markets in the state would remain closed, except Ya’nkaba and Ya’nlemo markets where vegetables and fruits are sold. He added that supermarkets in the state are allowed to operate within the six-hour timeframe with customers observing all COVID19 precautions.
“We have provided face masks, to be distributed to the people. I directed chairmen of the local government to also provide the face masks for their people. Afterwards, we will make it compulsory for everybody to wear it,” he said.
He also announced that billionaire businessman, Aliko Dangote, had donated a mobile testing centres with capacity of testing 400 samples in a day and 1000 sample in a week.
“The more we are getting the test, the more people who contracted the virus would be exposed and the more we stamp out the disease in our state. What we just want is for the public to adhere strictly to the protocols of the COVID-19 and abide by the lockdown order in order to break the chain of the transmission,” he said
Kano state is currently the second state with the highest number of COVID19 cases.
Nigerians have also expressed fears following reports of mysterious deaths in the state. The Federal government and the state Ministry of Health are currently investigating the cause of the mysterious deaths.
- Nigerians react as Ganduje relaxes lockdown in Kano, flouts Buhari’s order
- I am committed to the fight against corruption – Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano state says
- BREAKING: Gov. Ganduje relaxes lockdown in Kano amid mysterious death
- BREAKING: Ganduje Dares Buhari, Relaxes Lockdown In Kano
- Aisha Says Kano Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje Should Be Sentenced To Death For Collecting Bribe
- HURIWA blast Governor Abdullahi Ganduje over destruction of beer products worth N200 million in Kano
- Kano anti-graft agency issues strong warning to traders as Ganduje relaxes COVID-19 lockdown
- Ganduje relaxes Kano lockdown as strange deaths continue
- BREAKING: Gov. Ganduje relaxes lockdown in Kano
- Kaduna state government relaxes lockdown order amid Coronavirus pandemic