Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle first met after Prince Harry started dating the former American actress back in 2016. But not long after Meghan and Harry wed in 2018, the press started to suggest Meghan and Kate didn’t get along. Though the feud has always been questionable, experts now claim that things went sour between Meghan and Kate long before anyone realized.
Meghan Markle met the royal family back in 2016
Meghan and Harry were set up by a mutual friend back in 2016, and by the end of their first date, they knew there was something different about the other one. The two immediately wanted to see each other again, and after only a few dates, Harry asked Meghan to accompany him to Botswana.
Before long, Harry was introducing Meghan to the royal family, and she seemed to click well with the other royals. In the couple’s engagement interview, Meghan said that Kate had been “wonderful” to her.
Meghan and Kate have been at the center of a supposed feud
After Harry and Meghan wed, the public was hoping Meghan and Kate would become close friends. However, the rumors started that Meghan and Kate weren’t getting along as well as everyone had hoped, and from there, it spiraled. The two duchesses were reportedly feuding behind the scenes, with rumors that Meghan was rude to Kate’s staff and that Meghan had made Kate cry before the royal wedding in 2018.
Still, the women made appearances together and appeared to get along well, though it didn’t stop the rumor mill. And now, royal experts think there were problems from the start.
Kate Middleton reportedly protested the couple’s relationship early on
When Meghan first met the royal family, things seemed to be going well. But according to Dylan Howard and Andy Tillett, authors of “Royals At War,” Kate was actually unhappy with Meghan long before Meghan and Harry tied the knot.
Though Kate had nothing against Meghan, she was aware that Meghan was from a much different life than Harry. According to Daily Mail, Kate reportedly pulled Harry aside and warned him to take things slowly with Meghan, since it would take time for their lives to blend together. “She gently reminded him that he was dating someone with a completely different life, past, and career and it would take time, care and attention for them to integrate,” Howard and Tillett wrote.
This suggests the supposed tension between Kate and Meghan might have started long before the press became aware of it (after Harry and Meghan’s wedding).
The true details of the duchess’ relationship remains unknown
The new book reveals some new details about Harry and Meghan’s relationship with the royal family, though it seems the accusations aren’t entirely based in fact. There have been reports that Kate and Meghan don’t get along, but nothing is fully known. The only version of the two we can see is the one that appears in public, and they always seem civil together.
It’s possible Meghan and Kate’s feud had something to do with Harry and Meghan’s royal exit, though it seemed the press was more responsible for Kate and Meghan’s supposed feud than either of the women were. It still remains to be seen how the two actually feel about each other behind the scenes.
- Meghan Markle’s royal wedding feud with Kate Middleton was about tights
- Meghan Markle Didn’t Like Being No. 2 to Kate Middleton and Not Getting the Attention ‘She Deserved’ Before Royal Exit, Source Alleges
- These Photos Just How Close Kate Middleton Is With Her Sister, Pippa Middleton
- Meghan Markle Should Have Followed in Kate Middleton’s Footsteps and Ignored Bad Press, Expert Says
- Meghan Markle told friends "changes would have been made" if Kate Middleton were the one getting bullied by tabloids
- Will Meghan Markle Have to Curtsy to Kate Middleton When Prince William Becomes King?
- Prince William and Kate Middleton Just Dropped a Major Hint That They’re Missing Harry and Meghan
- Prince William and Kate Middleton pictured for the first time since Harry and Meghan Markle’s interview with Oprah Winfrey