The chairman, Board of Trustees (BoT), of the Coalition of Northern Groups, CNG, Nastura Ashir Sharif, has been released from the Police detention.
A statement from CNG’s spokesman, Abdul-Azeez Suleiman, said, “The Coalition of Northern Groups (CNG) hereby confirms that Nastura Ashir Sharif, its chairman of the Board of Trustees has today been freed from a two-day police captivity.”
Recall that Nastura Ashir Sharif was arrested Tuesday afternoon and moved to Abuja shortly after the peaceful protests in Katsina against the killings of helpless and defenceless citizens by bandits.
The statement added, “We acknowledged that Sharif’s freedom was made possible by the enormous pressure exerted by the CNG, the Northern Elders Forum, patriotic leaders and elders of the North, a decent section of the civil society, a multi-sectoral cooperation of regional groups and activists and the vigilance of the national and international press.
“We equally appreciate the support, cooperation and patience of the entire northern public throughout the period of Shariff’s detention. This is indeed reassuring.”
The statement assured the public that CNG would never relent in their struggle for a decent, free, fair and just society no matter the odds.
They urged authorities to endeavour to always place value on human liberty and people’s rights as basic cornerstones for civilized democracy.
- CNG laments detention of Chairman, Nastura Ashir Shariff by Police IG
- Katsina protest: Niger Delta group calls for immediate release of Arewa youth leader, Nastura Ashir Sharif
- BREAKING: Katsina protest against Buhari: Police arrests CNG leader, Sharif [Video]
- Nastura Sharif: Arrest those that kill Nigerians, not critics of your cruel govt – Fani-Kayode tells Buhari
- Nastura Sharif: Femi Fani-kayode Condemns Arrest
- Nastura Shariff’s detention: Civil society group calls for immediate release of activist
- Katsina Protest: CSO condemns arrest of Sharif, demands immediate release
- Abducted Delta NLC Chairman regains freedom
- 80y-year-old kidnapped father of LG Chairman regains freedom in Bayelsa after 3 months
- Abducted Delta Council Chairman, Okorodudu regains freedom