The organised labour in Kwara State is worried over what it described as the insincerity of the state government on the issue of implementation of the new minimum wage for workers.
The labour movement said it arrived at the conclusion after a look at the situation surrounding the non-payment of the minimum wage in the state since April 2019, after the bill was signed into law by President Muhammadu Buhari.
This is according to a press statement issued by the body in Ilorin on Thursday.
The statement titled ‘ Insincerity of Government on the Issue of Minimum Wage in Kwara State’ was signed by the state NLC chairman, Aliyu Issa Ore, Comrade Joseph Tunde, Acting chairman, TUC, and Comrade Saliu Suleiman, chairman JNC.
It said the government inaugurated the minimum wage committee on December 29, 2019, but up till the moment, the issue remains inconclusive.
“Out of the 36 states of the federation, over 94 percent has overcome the issue of minimum wage and even provided other welfare packages to the workers of their various states for effective and efficient service delivery.
“It is worrisome, to note that in Kwara state, we are still a merry-go-round on the issue of minimum wage, despite the current allocation of revenue and internally generated revenue in the state.
“The government has resorted to probating and reprobating on the minimum wage issue, all in the sense of denying the workers and the economy of the state a stimulus factor for growth and development of human beings in the state,” the statement added.
It further expressed worry that “the committee at the last meeting rejected attempts to smuggle into the discussion, a table that was not agreed by the labour side on payment of the little amounts as a consequential adjustment for GL-07, and above in the state cannot be accepted by the movement.”
The organised labour, however, passionately appealed to workers in the state to embark on serious prayers against all forces working against the signing and implementation of the minimum wage in the state.
DAILY POST reports that a suit in respect of the controversial minimum wage filed by the state government will come up for further hearing on Thursday, January 14, 2021, at the Akure division of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria, NICN.
- Akufo-Addo deserves serious praises for listening to calls to cut size of gov’t – Afenyo MarkinIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 24, 2021The Deputy Majority Leader Afenyo Markin has asked Ghanaians to applaud the President of Ghana Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo for reducing the size of ...[Read more]
- Ogun: Fulani herdsmen shoot, batter woman [VIDEO]In Local NewsJanuary 24, 2021The Commissioner, Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs, Kaduna State, Mr. Samuel Aruwan says bandits killed four persons in Chikun local ...[Read more]
- Chelsea vs Luton: Abramovich identifies former coach as Lampard’s replacementIn SportsJanuary 24, 2021Chelsea’s hierarchy has identified Leicester City manager, Brendan Rodgers, as a possible replacement for Frank Lampard, if he is fired, according to ...[Read more]
- Kaduna: Zangon Kataf community launches peace pactIn NewsJanuary 24, 2021The Muslim Rights Concern, MURIC, has called on the federal government to engage in dialogue and consultation over the crisis between Yoruba youths ...[Read more]
- Man Utd vs Liverpool: Solskjaer reveals player who is happy in his squadIn SportsJanuary 24, 2021Former Premier League striker, Michael Owen, has predicted Liverpool to beat Manchester United in today’s FA Cup fourth round clash. Owen, a former ...[Read more]
- Why my relationship with Mercy Eke crashed – IkeIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 24, 2021Nigerian singer, Banky Wellington, also known as Banky W has blasted the Muhammadu Buhari led administration for making citizens register for NIN ...[Read more]
- Man Utd vs Liverpool: Mark Hughes predicts FA Cup clashIn SportsJanuary 24, 2021Former Arsenal forward, Alan Smith, has slammed the club’s players, Willian and Nicolas Pepe following the club’s FA Cup 1-0 defeat to Southampton on ...[Read more]
- Man United vs Liverpool: Michael Owen predicts FA Cup clashIn SportsJanuary 24, 2021Former Arsenal forward, Alan Smith, has slammed the club’s players, Willian and Nicolas Pepe following the club’s FA Cup 1-0 defeat to Southampton on ...[Read more]
- Ogun: Two men arrested, beaten for alleged robbery in Abeokuta [VIDEO]In Local NewsJanuary 24, 2021The Commissioner, Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs, Kaduna State, Mr. Samuel Aruwan says bandits killed four persons in Chikun local ...[Read more]
- Lawmakers urge NYC to use senior centers as COVID-19 vaccination hubs for elderlyIn USAJanuary 24, 2021It’s amazing no one has thought of this before: using senior centers as vaccination hubs for the elderly. But now a group of 27 City Council members ...[Read more]