By Charles Okonji
As part of commitment towards bridging metering gap in the state, the Lagos State Government in collaboration with Eko Innovation Centre, has unveiled a Smart Meter Initiative tagged “The Lagos Smart Meter Hackathon 2020”
The initiative is expected to significantly reduce the revenue leakages in the sector and ultimately improve last-mile electricity supply.
In his opening remarks, the Lagos State Governor Mr. Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu noted that the launch marks a significant milestone in the implementation plan of the State Government towards improving access to electricity in the state, adding that it is also in line with the Sustainable Development Goal 7 of the UN which aspires to drive universal access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy for all by 2030.
Sanwo-Olu pointed out that increased electricity access is one of the priority mandates of his administration given its significance in ultimately driving economic development of the State to enable it achieve the objective of making Lagos a 21st century Economy.
“Lagos Smart Meter Initiative is an important way for the Lagos Government to demonstrate its commitment to improving electricity access and reliability for Lagosians. We believe that adequate metering of Lagosians and in turn Nigerians, would increase willingness to pay for electricity, improve productivity, and more importantly, continue to improve the living conditions of our people,” the Governor stressed.
In his keynote address, the Minister of State, Federal Ministry of Power, Goddy Jedy-Agba, noted that local design and production of affordable meters would be transformational for the industry and the economy at large.
Jedy-Agba said; “Lagos is an important state in Nigeria in terms of size, economy and resources. With a population of over 20million and the 5th highest GDP in Africa, Lagos is by far the biggest economy in Nigeria. Therefore, getting access to electricity right in Lagos is critical for access to electricity in the entire country.”
The Commissioner for Energy and Mineral Resources, Mr. Olalere Odusote said the initiative is expected to provide access to affordable smart meters for Lagosians to improve electricity supply, monitoring, and trust between electricity providers adding that end users while preventing revenue leakage.
According to him, it is also expected to drive innovation and creativity while generating new interest in young people for the sector.
Odusote noted; “Over the years, despite significant investments and resolutions around power generation and distribution, there remains a huge metering gap of over 60 per-cent of electricity consumers in Lagos and Nigeria. This metering gap is what we are seeking to bridge through the Lagos Smart Meter Hackathon.”
Source: The Street Journal
- Reminisce Celebrates 40th Birthday With Family And FriendsIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 26, 2021Ace Hip-hop star Reminisce turns the big 40 today and the rapper is celebrating the milestone with his family and friends. The rapper took to his ...[Read more]
- POS business operator shot dead metres away from his home in Cross RiverIn Local NewsJanuary 26, 2021A female roasted plantain seller simply identified as Iya Oluso, has been killed during a clash that occurred between two rival cult groups in ...[Read more]
- Kim Oprah Strikes Killer Pose, Gives A View Of Her Sexy CleavagesIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 26, 2021Ex-BBNaija pepper dem housemate Chinonso Opara who is popularly known as Kim Oprah is breaking the internet with these new pictures. The reality TV ...[Read more]
- Anambra police arrest man who circulated fake information on COVID-19 scare in govt houseIn COVID-19, Local News, NewsJanuary 26, 2021A female roasted plantain seller simply identified as Iya Oluso, has been killed during a clash that occurred between two rival cult groups in ...[Read more]
- Mom charged after baby found dead in NYC homeless shelter hotelIn USAJanuary 26, 2021The mother of the 2-month-old boy found dead inside a Manhattan homeless shelter hotel has been criminally charged after investigators determined she ...[Read more]
- Lampard desperate to prove Abramovich wrong after Chelsea sackIn SportsJanuary 26, 2021Frank Lampard is not discouraged by the way he was sacked at Chelsea and is determined to prove Roman Abramovich wrong in his next job, according to ...[Read more]
- Tyrese Gibson Begs For Wife Samantha Lee To Come backIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 26, 2021Hollywood star Tyrese Gibson has begged his wife Samantha Lee to come back home barely a few weeks after the couple announced their separation to the ...[Read more]
- Southampton vs Arsenal: Gunners give injury updates ahead of EPL clashIn EPL, SportsJanuary 26, 2021Tottenham Hotspur manager, Jose Mourinho, has claimed he does not think Frank Lampard wants to speak with him, just after being sacked as Chelsea ...[Read more]
- Kobe Bryant’s quotes about life revisited on first anniversary of his deathIn LifestyleJanuary 26, 2021Mamba knows best. Kobe Bryant’s legacy lives on in the year since the basketball icon’s untimely death. As Tuesday marks the anniversary ...[Read more]
- It’ll be dream come true to play for Black Stars–Gladson AwakoIn Ghana, SportsJanuary 26, 2021Great Olympics captain, Gladson Awako, says it’ll be a dream come true for him to play for Ghana’s senior national team, the Black Stars, for the ...[Read more]