The death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg could have dire implications for Roe v. Wade, the decision affirming a woman’s right to abortion.
A judicial third rail since the day it was handed down in 1973, Ginsburg had been a longtime champion of the ruling, and voted to defend abortion rights time and again during her 27-year tenure on the high court.
As late as March 2020, Ginsburg was undiminished as she questioned lawyers arguing on behalf of new abortion hurdles in Louisiana.
“Throughout her life and work, Justice Ginsburg affirmed and reaffirmed that under the law men and women deserve equal protection and equal freedom to make decisions based on their conscience,” Sara Hutchinson Ratcliffe, acting president of Catholics for Choice, said in a statement.
Her tireless efforts on the issue did not go unnoticed by Republican critics.
“RIP to the more than 30 million innocent babies that have been murdered during the decades that Ruth Bader Ginsburg defended pro-abortion laws,” tweeted Doug Collins, who is running for office in Georgia.
Liberals bereft at her death have reason to fear that the landmark law she fiercely protected may now be in jeopardy. During his 2016 presidential campaign, then-candidate Trump explicitly promised to appoint judges who wold vote to overturn Roe.
“I am pro-life and I will be appointing pro-life judges,” Trump said during a debate with Hillary Clinton. “I am putting pro-life justices on the court … it will go back to the states, and the states will then make a determination.”
On Sept. 9, Trump released a list of candidates he would choose from should a new Supreme Court opening emerge. Many of the contenders — like Sen Ted. Cruz — have long histories of standing against abortion rights.
New York Post
- EndSARS: Let’s Continue To Spread Awareness – DJ CuppyOctober 26, 2020DJ Cuppy has taken to online media to encourage Nigerians to proceed with the protest against SARS and police brutality in the nation. As per her, ...[Read more]
- #EndSARS: Famous Nigerian comedian AY Blasts Those Asking Why No Celebrity Died During ProtestsOctober 26, 2020Famous Nigerian comedian, Ayo Makun better known as AY, has gone hard on individuals inquiring as to why no big name died during #EndSARS fights held ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Man Reveals How An Iron protector Saved His Shop From Being Looted In Imo State (+Photos)October 26, 2020A Nigerian businessman, Chima Smart Nwaneri, has taken to Twitter to uncover how an iron defender kept his shop from being burglarized in Owerri, Imo ...[Read more]
- Popular Nigerian Cross-dresser, Bobrisky Reveals Two Things He Can Never DoOctober 26, 2020Nigerian cross-dresser, Okuneye Idris better realized as Bobrisky has uncovered two things he can never be seen doing. He made this disclosure in ...[Read more]
- Chief of Army Staff Responds To Travel Ban calls By International BodiesOctober 26, 2020Tukur Buratai, Chief of Army Staff, has responded to calls by International bodies requiring a movement boycott to be put on some military officials ...[Read more]
- All the hoodlums who are taking advantage of this season, shall not go unpunished-Bishop Oyedepo warns hoodlumsOctober 26, 2020The General Overseer of Winners Chapel International, David Oyedepo, has declared that the hoodlums who took advantage of the ENDSARS impasse to loot ...[Read more]
- See Davido’s reaction to the To Newly Discovered Camera At Lekki Toll GateOctober 26, 2020Davido, the fiance of Chioma Avril Rowlan, has disclosed how surprised and shocked he feels about the Lekki Toll Gate discovery. Amid an inspection ...[Read more]
- BBNaija Laycon to feature Neo in his new musical videoOctober 26, 2020BBNaija star Laycon has tightened the bond between him and Neo as he featured him in his upcoming music video. Laycon In a picture circulating on ...[Read more]
- This few weeks have been though on me, Laycon appreciates fans for their supportOctober 26, 2020Big Brother Naija winner, Laycon has appreciated his fans for showing him love and support over the past few weeks. He said also that the week was ...[Read more]
- David Oyedepo Says Hoodlums Destroying Properties Will Not Go UnpunishedOctober 26, 2020Directing Bishop of the Living Faith Church, David Oyedepo has said hoodlums plundering, decimating and consuming properties in Nigeria will not go ...[Read more]