A man who identifies himself as Charles Owusu who claims to be the relative of the late Chief Executive Officer for the Forestry Commission has been embroiled in illegal mining ongoing in the Taabosere enclave in the western region
In a report filed by Multimedia’s Erastus Asare Donkor, Charles Owusu is heard calling upon the taskforce in charge clamping down on illegal mining to leave the concession.
According to the site supervisor, whose name was given as Umar, they are working with the permission of some influential “big men” in the country.
In all, the team towed 10 excavators from the site, also seven Chinese miners were transported to Accra where they will be prosecuted.
Meanwhile, the President of Ghana said in his final State of the Nation Address in his first term in office that there is the need for an open conversation on the galamsey fight.
“There is one subject…I believe we the people need to have an open conversation, and that is the phenomenon of galamsey. Should we allow or not allow galamsey,” President Akufo-Addo said.
“The illegal mining, that leads to the pollution of our water bodies and the devastation of our landscape. As I have said often, the almighty haven blessed us with considerable deposits of precious minerals there will always be mining in Ghana, indeed there has always been mining in Ghana. The problem we have is the use of modern technology that leads to the illegal mining menace posing serious dangers to our water bodies and the health of our environment. The pollution of our rivers and water bodies has been so acute on occasions that the Ghana Water Company Limited is unable to afford the distilling of water to make for safe drinking,” Nana Akufo-Addo noted.
“We have to talk about galamsey. We who are leaders owe it to the country to take the subject out of the party political area and have an honest conversation about this menace to our future,” he added.
Source: MyNewsGh.com/ Ayeh Offei-Akoto/2021
Video Source: Erastus Asare Donkor
- FA Cup: Alan Smith blasts two Arsenal players after 1-0 defeat to SouthamptonIn SportsJanuary 24, 2021Former Arsenal forward, Alan Smith, has slammed the club’s players, Willian and Nicolas Pepe following the club’s FA Cup 1-0 defeat to Southampton on ...[Read more]
- Herdsmen quit notice: What Buhari govt should do over Sunday Igboho’s order – Ismalic groupIn NewsJanuary 24, 2021The Muslim Rights Concern, MURIC, has called on the federal government to engage in dialogue and consultation over the crisis between Yoruba youths ...[Read more]
- COVID-19: NCDC confirms 1,633 new infections, additional deaths in NigeriaIn COVID-19, NewsJanuary 24, 2021
- Buhari shuns Nigerians’ calls, demands ECOWAS restructuringIn NewsJanuary 24, 2021
- Youths Waste Much Energy on Irrelevant Issues – Yul EdochieIn EntertainmentJanuary 24, 2021Youths Waste Much Energy on Irrelevant Issues – Yul Edochie. The most handsome actor Yul Edochie in the Nollywood world, has recently called out ...[Read more]
- No more herdsmen – Sunday Igboho faces soldiers, policemen [Video]In NewsJanuary 24, 2021
- Ondo Truck Accident: Varsity breaks silence over students’ death, postpones examsIn NewsJanuary 24, 2021The management of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko, AAUA, has expressed shock over the fatal accident that occurred in Akungba-Akoko, Akoko ...[Read more]
- ‘We Are Dating’ – Vee Finally Confirms (Video)In EntertainmentJanuary 24, 2021‘We Are Dating’ – Vee Finally Confirms. The former BBNaija housemate, Victoria Adeyele simply known as Vee, has finally confirmed that she is in a ...[Read more]
- What is Amotekun, Naira Marley Reacts over Marlians ArrestIn EntertainmentJanuary 24, 2021What is Amotekun, Naira Marley Reacts over Marlians Arrest. The video making rounds on social media is showing some school children arrested by ...[Read more]
- NYC nursing home refused to give rehab patients COVID-19 vaccine: polIn USAJanuary 24, 2021A Queens nursing home in the midst of a COVID-19 outbreak withheld potentially lifesaving vaccines from rehab patients, leaving a city councilman’s ...[Read more]