A Singaporean pastor, Joanne Chow, has come under fire for suggesting that women lead men astray by how they dress.
In Christian youth-oriented website Thir.st , the 38-year-old pastor, who ministers to youth, appealed to girls to help guys avoid sin by dressing modestly.
“Can I also make a special appeal to the girls? Let’s help our brothers by not dressing in a revealing or provocative way. Of course you don’t have control over their lustful thoughts, and it may not be a sin to wear that skintight dress or post that bikini photo, but if we can help our brothers, why not?” read her Friday post.
In the post, the mother of two girls and a member of the Pasir Panjang Hill Brethren Church, recounted struggling with temptation after agreeing with her boyfriend-turn-husband that they would avoid premarital sex.
She also suggested that everyone unfollow explicit accounts on Instagram and TikTok, and activate explicit content filters for YouTube while also reaching out to other Christians with struggling with their sexual desires.
“Sounds extreme? That’s a small price to pay if we’re serious about protecting ourselves. It’s better to be inconvenienced occasionally than to leave ourselves open to temptation,” she wrote.
Shortly after her article was reposted on Instagram, many took offence with a particular paragraph that appeared to hint that a woman’s dressing is to blame for a man’s lustful thoughts.
“Excuse you, it’s not the women’s fault for wearing what they want. It’s these boys who [can’t] seem to understand what self control is and thinks it is okay to assault someone like that. Stop victim blaming and start calling people out for their mistakes instead,” one @Celestia_cq wrote on Instagram.
“It is already sad that girls got to dress less provocatively in order to look out for their own safety, and now this post is saying we gotta do it so we make the lives of the men easier?????” another named Arikenna said.
Ennchi wrote: “Oh come on. This reeks of victim blaming and how it’s “a responsibility to not dress provocatively” to avoid sexual assault. You know that mindset is harmful and frankly outdated.”
“Tell the boys to gourge out out their eyes instead! The Bible was clear on this!” Another wrote.
In response to the backlash, Thir.st said that the purpose of the article was to “offer practical advice on how Christians can avoid falling into sexual temptation”, due to a recent case of a global Christian leader being accused of sexual misconduct.
- Breaking: Zamfara State Abducted School Girls ReleasedIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsFebruary 28, 2021According to a report from a source, we hear that the abducted schoolgirls of the Government Secondary School in Jangebe, Zamfara State have regained ...[Read more]
- Strictly Ladies: After Davido Publicly Dumped Chioma, Here’s How To Handle Breakup In NigeriaIn Celebrity News, LifestyleFebruary 28, 2021It is no longer news that Nigerian music star just dumped his baby mama after been snapped holding hands with another lady. So how do you handle such ...[Read more]
- Jinapor, Asenso Boakye, and Mustapha Yussif have proven NPP youth have a future – Salam MustaphaIn Ghana, NewsFebruary 28, 2021The Director of Programmes at the Office of the Vice President Salam Mustapha has noted that the Ghanaian youth is intelligent and will excel when ...[Read more]
- Serie A: Pirlo blames his players after 1-1 draw with VeronaIn SportsFebruary 28, 2021Andrea Pirlo has blamed his inexperienced players for their 1-1 draw against Hallas Verona in their Serie A game on Saturday. Juventus missed the ...[Read more]
- Golden Shoe: Top 10 Europe’s highest goal scorersIn SportsFebruary 28, 2021Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola, has said their 20 straight wins in all competitions, may be the best thing they have ever achieved. Ruben ...[Read more]
- Lala Akindoju And Husband, Chef Fregz, Welcome Baby BoyIn Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Nollywood actress, Lala Akindoju and Chef Fregz have welcomed their first child, a baby boy. The proud dad who recently ...[Read more]
- Actress Lala Akindoju, husband welcome first childIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentFebruary 28, 2021The news that Nigerian singer, Davido, has found a new lover has stirred a lot of reactions from Nigerians on social media. The Nigerian singer in a ...[Read more]
- Why Cubana ChiefPriest allegedly distanced himself from Davido’s fiancee, Chioma,In Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Nigerian celebrity barman, Cubana ChiefPriest is allegedly beefing Davido’s third babymama, Chioma. Blogger Cutiejul claimed that Cubana distanced ...[Read more]
- “I can’t stand this I’m unfollowing you now” – Zubby Michael tackles Ini Edo (Screenshot)In Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Nollywood actor, Zubby Michael has tackled veteran actress, Ini Edo after she shared new photos on Instagram. Ini Edo caused a stir on Instagram ...[Read more]
- Sophia Momodu reacts to reports of Chioma fighting with Davido for visiting her house to see ImadeIn Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Sophia Momodu has reacted to reports of Davido’s third babymama, Chioma allegedly fighting with him for visiting her house. Recent reports alleged ...[Read more]