Congresswoman Liz Cheney, the third-ranking House Republican has said that she will vote to impeach President Donald Trump on Wednesday January 13, adding to a growing list of Republicans backing the president’s removal after blaming him for inciting a deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol last week.
Cheney in a strongly worded statement released on Tuesday January 12, accused the violent mob that breached the U.S. Capitol on January 6 of causing destruction and death.
The lawmaker from Wyoming and the daughter of the former vice-president Dick Cheney, said “the President of the United States summoned this mob, assembled the mob, and lit the flame of this attack. Everything that followed was his doing.”
“None of this would have happened without the President. The President could have immediately and forcefully intervened to stop the violence. He did not. There has never been a greater betrayal by a President of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution.”
Cheney was joined on Tuesday by the Washington representative Jaime Herrera Beutler, New York representative John Katko, the Illinois representative Adam Kinzinger, and representative Fred Upton, of Michigan, who all said they would vote for impeachment.
The House vote on impeachment is anticipated to take place on Wednesday January13, one week after pro-Trump extremists stormed the Capitol, forcing lawmakers to delay by several hours their constitutional duty of tallying the Electoral College votes from the Nov. 3 election. The article of impeachment says Trump incited the insurrection.
The small group of House Republicans are thought to be part of a broader coalition debating whether to back the effort, a stark contrast to Trump’s first impeachment battle in 2019, when not a single Republican backed impeaching him. At the time, several Democrats joined Republicans in opposing the effort.
Katko, a former federal prosecutor and moderate Republican who endorsed Trump for reelection, said he reviewed the facts and reached his own conclusion.
“To allow the President of the United States to incite this attack without consequence is a direct threat to the future of our democracy.
“For that reason, I cannot sit by without taking action. I will vote to impeach this President.”
Trump on Tuesday called the move to impeach him “ridiculous” and said it’s “causing tremendous danger to our country.”
Cheney has previously fallen into Trump’s crosshairs after opposing his efforts to invalidate the election results. At his rally in Washington DC before Congress’s vote to certify the election results, Trump told supporters: “The Liz Cheneys of the world. We have to get rid of them.”
- Year of Roads: Ensure all gutters, culverts are covered – Drunkards Assoc. beg Akufo-Addo, new Road MinisterIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 22, 2021The President of the Ghana Drunkards Association Mr. Moses Drybone has admonished President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo to order his incoming Road ...[Read more]
- Kaduna government sack 65 teachersIn Education, NewsJanuary 22, 2021Workers of Plateau State University (PLASU) have issued a seven-day ultimatum to the State Government to improve funding for the institution or face ...[Read more]
- KOKOnista Of The Day: Lori Harvey Is More Than Just A Pretty FaceIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 22, 2021Model Lori Harvey is an American actress famous for strutting down catwalks all around the world. Harvey made a name for herself via social media, ...[Read more]
- Secondary School student bags five years imprisonment over cultismIn Local NewsJanuary 22, 2021The State High court sitting in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State on Thursday sentenced a 23-year-old student, Emmanuel Itoro Thomas, to five years in prison for ...[Read more]
- This Is The Shocking Number of Out- of-school-children In Nigeria – FG Declares NumberIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 22, 2021The Federal Government Thursday stated that Nigeria’s out- of-school-children (OSC) has dropped to 6.946 million from 10.1 million. The government ...[Read more]
- 7 dead, 4 injured as prison warden cause fatal accident in ImoIn Local NewsJanuary 22, 2021Three persons have been feared killed in a fresh attack at the ongoing communal crisis between Uko-nteghe Uda and Uko Akpan Enwang communities in Mbo ...[Read more]
- Hawa Koomson: What example is Akufo-Addo setting by rewarding politicians for bad behaviour? – Lydia Forson quizzesIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 22, 2021Actress Lydia Forson has expressed shock at the President rewarding politicians who have publicly displayed bad behaviour. The actress is wondering ...[Read more]
- One beheaded, two killed as communal crisis escalates in Akwa IbomIn Local News, NewsJanuary 22, 2021Three persons have been feared killed in a fresh attack at the ongoing communal crisis between Uko-nteghe Uda and Uko Akpan Enwang communities in Mbo ...[Read more]
- Doctor who claimed his friend was denied Australian visa called out for past offensive and sexist tweets about Tuface’s daughter, Chimamanda Adichie, Kiki MordiIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021A Lagos based doctor, PenKing, has been called out for his past offensive, sexist tweets about Tuface’s daughter, Chimamanda Adichie and ...[Read more]
- “Until the DM ends on the timeline”- Prince reacts to Laycon’s old tweet from 2017In Celebrity News, LayconJanuary 22, 2021The popular reality star, Prince Nelson Nwerem has stumbled on an old tweet of a fellow TV icon, Laycon from 2017 before fame. In an exchange from ...[Read more]