The United States House of Representatives has impeached President Trump for incitement of insurrection.
The resolution followed the debate on the article of impeachment.
Democrats in the House moved the article of impeachment following the invasion of the Capitol hill during the certification of 2020 presidential election on January 6th.
Prior to the invasion, Trump who is yet to concede the Nov 3rd election which Joe Biden won, addressed a rally of his supporters to “take their country back.”
According to reports on US media, several Republicans vowed to vote in favour of the impeachment. Wyoming Representative, Liz Cheney, the 3rd leadership of the GOP vowed to vote in favour of the impeachment.
Leading the debate on behalf of the Republican Party, Jim Jordan of Ohio accused the radical Left of seeking vengeance.
Making the closing argument for the Republican Party, Minority Whip, Steve Scalise appealed to the other side to let the Nation heal, while paying tribute to the Capitol police who lost two officers to the November 6th hearing. The tribute was met with applause from both sides.
“In times like this, let us yield to our better side.” He said.
Closing the debate for the Democrats, Majority Leader, Steny Hoyer said that in light of civil war analogy of the events of 6th of November, the attack was summoned and inflamed by the President of the United States.
“We will stay in silence, or we will stand up and say this is not acceptable. For 4years, the President has failed to display the principle of the Republican Party. His actions had been rationalised by those who are profiting financially and politically through proximity to power,” he said, adding that “we know that Trump is not a patriot.”
It would be recalled that President Trump was impeached in 2019 by the Democrats led House, but was acquitted by the Republican-led Senate.
The impeachment is not a removal from Office until the US Senate vote to convict. However, the Senate is currently on recess, and will not resume until the tenure of Mr Trump ends in 7days time.
The impeachment implies that if the Senate should convict Trump, he would be barred from holding any political office or elective position again.
The trial at the Senate could happen even when Trump is no longer President.
Historically, Trump is the 1st US President to be impeached twice.
10 Republicans joined the Democrats to impeach Trump. As at the time of filing this report, 229 Lawmakers moved to remove Trump, 195 Republicans voted against the Article.
- NYPD rescues dog from freezing Jamaica Bay waterIn USAJanuary 21, 2021It was ruff day for this pup. The NYPD Harbor Unit rescued a dog struggling to stay above water in Jamaica Bay Wednesday morning. Officers were ...[Read more]
- UK Records 1820 COVID-19 Death – The Highest In A Single DayIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 21, 2021Britain’s Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Chris Whitty, Chief Medical Officer for England and Chief Scientific Adviser to the Government, Sir Patrick ...[Read more]
- This Is Why Michelle Obama And Joe Biden’s Grandchildren Are Melting Everyone’s Heart On Social MediaIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 21, 2021Former first lady Michelle Obama has warmly greeted members of Joe Biden’s family – hugging his grandchildren as she stepped onto the inaugural ...[Read more]
- “Many Of Your Friends Are Miserable Today Because They Married Quick” – Reno Omokri Warn SinglesIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 21, 2021
- Sanitizer in chief: Twitter loves the inauguration’s mystery podium cleanerIn LifestyleJanuary 21, 2021Forget Joe Biden, Kamala Harris and, heck, even Lady Gaga — the true star of the inauguration was the bespectacled man of mystery who wiped down the ...[Read more]
- ‘I Don’t Believe In House Helps’ – BBNaija’s Uriel Oputa Lament Doing Everything HerselfIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 21, 2021
- KOKOnista Of The Day: Amanda Gorman Is The Young Poet Laureate Inspiring With Her Work On Race, Feminism And African DiasporaIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 21, 2021Her art and activism focus on issues of oppression, feminism, race, and marginalisation, as well as the African diaspora. She read her poem “The ...[Read more]
- Three National Guard members killed in helicopter crash in upstate New YorkIn USAJanuary 21, 2021Three National Guard members were killed when a military helicopter crashed in upstate New York Wednesday evening, officials said. The aircraft, a ...[Read more]
- Three dead after military chopper crashes in upstate New YorkIn USAJanuary 21, 2021Three people were killed when a military helicopter crashed in upstate New York Wednesday evening, according to reports. The fatal crash occurred ...[Read more]
- Portugal sets records in one of world’s worst virus surgesIn LifestyleJanuary 21, 2021LISBON, Portugal — Portugal’s new daily COVID-19 cases jumped to more than 14,600 to set a new national record Wednesday, as the country weathers one ...[Read more]