A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Kafanchan, Kaduna State on Wednesday sentenced a 23-year-old man, Alkasim Abdullahi, to two months in a correctional facility for stealing a laptop and other items.
The magistrate, Abdulaziz Ibrahim, also ordered that the convict be given 10 strokes of the cane.
The convict was facing a two count charge of trespass and theft, contrary to sections 333 and 271 of the Kaduna State Penal Code.
The Police Prosecutor, Insp. Johnson Ibudu, had told the court that one Abba Abdullahi reported the matter at the Kafanchan Divisional station on April 18.
ALSO READ: COVID-19 doesn’t know personality- El-Rufa’i
Ibudu said the complainant alleged that Abdullahi trespassed into his room and stole his laptop, charger, Bluetooth, recharge card and memory card, all totaling N31,800.
When the charges were read to the accused, he pleaded guilty and begged the court for leniency.
The Prosecutor thereafter asked the court to try him summarily in line with section 25(8) of the Administration of Criminal Justice.
In another news, the Kaduna State Governor, Nasiru Ahmad El-Rufa’i warned that coronavirus was not a friend to anybody, and could strike where it was least expected. He spoke in a radio Hausa program monitored by journalists in Kaduna on Wednesday.
“Despite the security paraphernalia around me, I got the virus. This goes to show that the virus does not recognize any personality,” he said
On why he returned to his clean shave looks, he said: “I’m truly aging. I’m a few steps above 60 and this disease is not kind to the old. I’m old. That is the danger. If one is above 50, one should be very careful not to contract the virus. To an aged person with other health complications like diabetes, hypertension, coronavirus will be very deadly.”
- Man bags 2 months, 10 strokes for stealing laptop in Kaduna
- Teenager bags 6 months, 5 strokes for stealing phones, money
- Man sentenced to 12 strokes of cane for stealing yam in Abuja
- Man caught on camera stealing a laptop and tucking it into his trouser (Video)
- 25-year-old man bags 12 strokes of the cane for dealing in hard drugs in Kano state
- Rema Apologizes To His Friend For Stealing His Laptop
- Woman, 22, accused of stealing Nancy Pelosi’s laptop during the Capitol siege so she could sell it to Russia
- Man, 59, Bags 12 months Jail Term For Stealing Jewellry Worth N1.4m
- Teacher sentenced to 3 strokes of cane and 18 months jail time for molesting 3 year old girl in packed classroom