A killer was convicted Thursday in Australia’s longest-running cold case — offering closure in a chilling, decades-old murder mystery.
Bradley Robert Edwards, 51, was found guilty of stabbing to death two women in the “Claremont serial killer” case after DNA evidence from the mid-1990s led to his arrest, according to CNN.
“It caused unimaginable heartbreak and haunted those involved for almost 25 years,” Western Australia Premier Mark McGowan said on Facebook after the verdict. “Nothing will ever undo the pain.”
In 1996, 27-year-old lawyer Ciara Glennon disappeared after spending a night out in the wealthy Perth suburb of Claremont. Her body was later found tossed in nearby bushland with a stab wound on her neck.
The next year, a 23-year-old childcare worker, Jane Rimmer, was murdered in the same area in the same way, her body found dumped in a bushland.
Another woman 18-year-old secretary, Sarah Spiers, also went missing in the same area in 1996, but her body was never found.
“The disappearance and likely murder of three young women was in itself enough to cause wide concern. The fact that all three went missing from a popular nightlife area frequented by many young people inspired a real and pervasive sense of fear,” WA Supreme Court Justice Stephen Hall said during his judgment.
The cases went cold until 2016, when Edwards, a telecommunications worker, was convicted of two rapes — and identified as a suspect in the cold cases.
Cops matched his DNA to samples taken from under the fingernails on Glennon’s left hand, which got there as she tried to fight him off, prosecutors said.
Investigators said they found that fibers on the bodies of Rimmer and Glennon matched ones in Edwards’ work car, indicating that he abducted both women in that vehicle.
During the trial, the prosecution called hundreds of witnesses, including Edwards’ ex-wives and former colleagues, some of whom described him as violent, according to The Guardian.
He was ultimately found guilty in two of three murders, and acquitted in the Spiers case.
On Thursday, Rimmer’s sister, Lee, called the verdict bittersweet.
“I think you get some closure but it’s always going to be the same. No one’s ever going to bring her back,” she said.
The triple-murder trial is believed to be the most expensive in Australia’s history — costing more than $11 million, in part due to flying in international witnesses and renting out an entire secure office space to manage the decades of evidence, according to the ABC.
Edwards will be sentenced on Dec. 23.
New York Post
- Reno Omokri Celebrates Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For becoming The First African To Head World Trade OrganizationOctober 28, 2020Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has become the first lady and African to head the esteemed global body, the World Trade Organization – WTO. She achieved by ...[Read more]
- LekkiMassacre: Mike Ezuruonye Lambast Nigerian Government (photo)October 28, 2020A ton of disclosures have been coming up after the awful military shooting occurrence that happened at Lekki Tollgate in to Lagos. Nollywood actor, ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels And Her Husband Ned Nwoko Dine Like Royals (+Video)October 28, 2020Regina Daniels and her granddad like husband, Ned Nwoko, has caused a huge mix via social media after a video of how they take their morning meal ...[Read more]
- BBNaija Star, Seyi Awolowo Says Cultism Has Reduced Because Of “Yahoo YahooOctober 28, 2020As per Seyi Awolowo, the ex BBNaija housemate, the rate at which cultism was ruling in Nigeria has decreased radically and he is sure that the ...[Read more]
- See Photo Of Charly Boy Rocking Female Blouse And Gele (+Photo)October 28, 2020Charles Chukwuemeka Oputa otherwise known as Charly Boy is pursuing new contentions for himself as he is spotted vigorously dressed like a lady. He ...[Read more]
- NYSC Arrests 43 Hoodlums Over looting at Kubwa Orientation CampOctober 28, 202043 hoodlums have reportedly been arrested with some items recovered by the National Youth Service Corps(NYSC), following their attack in their Abuja ...[Read more]
- Watch how Falz cut his birthday cake yesterdayOctober 28, 2020Nigerian rapper Falz turned 30 years yesterday, October 27, and he celebrated his birthday in grand style. In the video sighted online, the rapper ...[Read more]
- Watch Davido Cruising A 15 Million Naira Can-AM Spyder F3 Trick (+Video)October 28, 2020In an ongoing video, Davido was spotted cruising a 15 Million Naira Can-AM Spyder F3 Trick. It would appear that the Musician is attempting to ...[Read more]
- See The Top 10 World Richest Actors 2020October 28, 2020It’s a well known truth that Hollywood and Bollywood are the top film industry in the world known for delivering the best movies as well as ...[Read more]
- ” Why are you hiding your shoe?” – Netizen asks Ozo After He Shared A PhotographOctober 27, 2020Ex Big Brother Naija housemate, Ozo shared a photograph on his Instagram page which didn’t show his shoes. Shockingly enough, that was what one ...[Read more]