Meghan Markle finally addressed the incident that happened days to her wedding where the press claimed she made her sister-in-law Kate Middleton cry.
Oprah Winfrey asked the Duchess of Sussex about headlines written about her and the Duchess of Cambridge, including one story alleging Meghan made Kate cry.
“The reverse happened,” Meghan told Winfrey.
Meghan later added that Kate had “really hurt my feelings” a few days before the wedding, but that she had apologized and is “a good person”.
She said It was not a “confrontation” and it would not be “fair” to Kate to go into detail. But she added that it was “hard to get over” being blamed for something she did not do.
“Everyone in the institution knew that wasn’t true,” she continued, and said she hoped Kate “would have wanted that to be corrected”.
Asked if she thinks there was a separate standard for her and Kate, and if so why, Meghan said: “I don’t know why. I can see now what layers were at play there.
“And again they really seemed to want a narrative of a hero and a villain.”
Prince Harry also revealed that his family cut him off when he stepped down as a working member of the royal family and he had to rely on the inheritance his mum, Princess Diana left him.
He said: “My family literally cut me off financially. And I had to afford security for us.”
He explained that he was cut off in the first quarter of 2023.
He continued: “But, I’ve got what my mum left me and without that, we would not have been able to do this.”
Asked by Winfrey why they chose to step down from their roles as senior royals, Harry said: “Lack of support. And lack of understanding.”
Harry denied that he “blindsided” the Queen with the news, saying he has “too much respect” for his grandmother, and said they have a good relationship.”
However, he said that his father, Prince Charles, had “stopped taking my calls” at one point when he left the UK.
Asked about the “tipping point” which led to the couple leaving, Harry said he was “desperate”.
He continued: “I went to all the places which I thought I should go to, to ask for help – we both did, separately and together.”
Winfrey asked: “You left because you were asking for help, and didn’t get it?”
Harry replied: “Yeah. Basically. But we never left.” Meghan added: “We never left the family.”
Harry told Winfrey he feels “really let down” by his father, the Prince of Wales “because he’s been through something similar, he knows what pain feels like, [and] Archie’s his grandson.
“But at the same time – I will always love him – but there’s a lot of hurt that’s happened and I will continue to make it one of my priorities to try and heal that relationship.
“But they only know what they know, or what they’re told.”
Asked whether he would have stepped down from his role if not for Meghan, Harry said “no”.
He continued: “I myself was trapped. I didn’t see a way out. I was trapped but I didn’t know I was trapped.”
Winfrey pushed Harry to explain, to which he replied: “Trapped within the system, like the rest of my family are. My father and my brother, they are trapped. They don’t get to leave.”
Harry said he has “huge compassion” for his father and brother’s circumstances.
Asked by Winfrey what his mother, Diana, would say if she was alive, Harry said: “I think she would feel very angry with how this has panned out, and very sad.”
Speaking about his relationship with his brother, William, Harry said that at the moment it is “space”.
Watch the video below.
- Royal Family Photographer Shares 2 Favorite Candid Photos of Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle with Prince Harry
- Kate Middleton Confronted Prince Harry With Her Concerns About Meghan Markle, New Book Says
- Prince William and Kate Middleton pictured for the first time since Harry and Meghan Markle’s interview with Oprah Winfrey
- Meghan Markle blogged about Kate Middleton’s wedding and dreamed of becoming a Princess, despite telling Oprah she didn’t know much about the royal family
- “No Harry and Meghan private garden wedding took place” Vicar says after Meghan claimed she and Harry had a private wedding before Royal wedding
- Meghan Markle Described How She Felt When She Met Prince William and Kate Middleton for the First Time
- How Tyler Perry came to Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s rescue when the royal family cut them off financially
- How Tyler Perry came to Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s aid when the royal family cut them off financially
- Meghan Markle told friends "changes would have been made" if Kate Middleton were the one getting bullied by tabloids