The Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, has petitioned the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Adamu Mohammed, to investigate Sylvanus Ofekun for allegedly defaming him and also making inciteful comments capable of threatening national security.
According to the petition which was submitted to the IGP on February 16, the Minister alleged that Ofekun, a sports journalist with the moniker “Sleeky Sly” on social media, accused him of daily benefitting from Lagos Concession Company (LCC), operators of the Lekki Tollgate, which has been shut down since the October 20 gunshot incident.
The petition in part reads
“Our client was surprised when Mr. Sylvanus Ofekun, also known as Sleeky Sly, published unfounded and baseless allegations of corruption against our client through direct reference and innuendo.
Mr. Ofekun is a sports journalist who currently plies his trade with Kiss FM radio station, Abuja. The summary of the allegations was to the effect that our client was receiving constant revenues from the LCC, the managers of the Lekki Tollgate. Our client was, therefore, alleged to have deployed governmental resources to reopen the tollgate for personal profit.
According to the publication, evidence of our client’s receipt of funds from LCC could be found in bank statements, which were attached. A cursory look at the said bank statements will show that the transactions contained therein are between LCC and Loatsad Media and our client’s name did not appear in any of the transactions.
The facts can be gleaned from the public records available at relevant government agencies that our client has since 2017 relinquished all interests he had at Loatsad Promomedia Limited (as it was then known) and stepped down from its Board of Directors. It is, therefore, clear that not only were the allegations false, they were published with malice aforethought with the intent to disparage our client.”
- Mum disgusted with homework that asked her 10-year-old daughter to write about ‘fingering’In NewsFebruary 26, 2021A mum said she was “mortified” and “disgusted” after her ten-year-old daughter was given homework which included a ...[Read more]
- Abia Govt warns against planned rival cult war in Umuahia, othersIn Local NewsFebruary 26, 2021The Abia State Government has warned against launching of rival cult clash allegedly being planned by the Vikings and Black Axe confraternity in some ...[Read more]
- Update: Tiger Woods moved to new hospital to continue recovery from surgery after car crashIn NewsFebruary 26, 2021Golf legend, Tiger Woods has been moved to a new hospital in Los Angeles to continue his recovery from surgery following his recent car accident. The ...[Read more]
- Seriously Raining Babies! Actor Alesh Sanni Welcomes 1st Child With FianceeIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, Nigeria NewsFebruary 26, 2021<!– Seriously Raining Babies! Actor Alesh Sanni Welcomes 1st Child With Fiancee It is raining somewhat heavily in the entertainment ...[Read more]
- Lovers found dead in their apartment in Delta. Suicide suspectedIn NewsFebruary 26, 2021Two lovers have been found dead in their apartment at Uvwie in Uvwie Local Government Area of Delta State. The couple identified as Emmanuel Oshiotu, ...[Read more]
- 181 AK-47, 1525 live ammunitions, 64 magazines recovered from bandits – Zamfara GovtIn Local NewsFebruary 26, 2021A student of the University of Ibadan, Emmanuel Odetunde who was abducted on Monday, has been released by his abductors. DAILY POST reported that ...[Read more]
- Lives of Gospel artistes not a benchmark for morality – Celestine DonkorIn Entertainment, GhanaFebruary 26, 2021“Agbebolo” hitmaker and multiple awards winner, Celestine Donkor says the lifestyle of gospel artistes in Ghana shouldn’t be the benchmark for ...[Read more]
- We don’t need to accept LGBT rights and sick mindedness in Ghana – Kweku FlickIn Entertainment, GhanaFebruary 26, 2021Young Ghanaian Hip-Hop artiste, Kweku Flick known in real life as Andy Osei Sarfo has added his voice to the current debate surrounding the advocacy ...[Read more]
- Hundreds of air travellers stranded as Airport staff strike hits hardIn Business, Ghana, NewsFebruary 26, 2021Domestic air travellers are stranded at the various airports in the country following the withdrawal of services by the staff of the Ghana ...[Read more]
- Gospel music should be centred on the word of God and not trends- AkuBlessIn Entertainment, GhanaFebruary 26, 2021‘Mema Wo Din So’ hitmaker, AkuBless known in real life as Harriet Akua Agyeiwaa says gospel music in Ghana shouldn’t be about what’s trendy and ...[Read more]