Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has spoken out after a grand jury decided against indicting the police officers responsible for the killing of Breonna Taylor for murder.
Speaking on the Senate floor Thursday, McConnell (R-Ky.) described 26-year-old Taylor’s killing as “tragic.”
“I’ve spoken repeatedly in recent months about the tragic killing of Breonna Taylor in my hometown of Louisville, the need for justice, and the healing work ahead for our community,” the Kentucky Republican said at the start of his remarks.
Louisville authorities were looking into Jamarcus Glover, Taylor’s ex-boyfriend whom she had broken up with months prior to the botched raid, and found no drugs on the premises.
Taylor’s family has maintained that she had no involvement in any drug ring.
McConnell then praised the work of Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron, who announced charges against one of the three officers involved in Taylor’s fatal shooting on three counts of wanton endangerment.
“Daniel Cameron conducted exactly the kind of thorough, impartial investigation that justice demands,” he continued, “Yesterday, that chapter concluded, and the grand jury conducted the handoff to criminal prosecution. I have full confidence in the attorney general’s painstaking pursuit of facts and justice.”
The Kentucky Republican then turned his attention toward the riots that had ensued in the wake of Cameron’s decision not to charge the other two officers involved in the botched raid.
“Many Kentuckians have channeled their continuing grief and anger into a peaceful exercise of their First Amendment rights. But in Louisville last night, we saw more of the lawlessness, riots, and violence that has plagued American cities too often this year. Citizens’ businesses were vandalized. Fires were set in streets.
“And two officers of the Metro Police Department were shot and wounded while protecting public safety downtown. As of last night, one officer was still undergoing surgery, but both were in stable condition. We are praying that both will make full recoveries,” he said, denouncing the looting and unrest.
McConnell went on to say, “Peaceful protests honor the memory of Breonna Taylor. Peaceful protests move us toward justice. Smashing windows does not. Setting fires does not. Rioting in the streets does not.”
In June, McConnell said he was “pleased” that law enforcement officials had taken up the cases of Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and George Floyd.
“In each disturbing situation, investigations and reviews are ongoing,” he continued, adding that he was pleased that relevant law enforcement agencies had begun taking appropriate actions in those cases. “We need the truth, and we need swift justice under law.”
New York Post
- Reno Omokri Celebrates Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For becoming The First African To Head World Trade OrganizationOctober 28, 2020Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has become the first lady and African to head the esteemed global body, the World Trade Organization – WTO. She achieved by ...[Read more]
- LekkiMassacre: Mike Ezuruonye Lambast Nigerian Government (photo)October 28, 2020A ton of disclosures have been coming up after the awful military shooting occurrence that happened at Lekki Tollgate in to Lagos. Nollywood actor, ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels And Her Husband Ned Nwoko Dine Like Royals (+Video)October 28, 2020Regina Daniels and her granddad like husband, Ned Nwoko, has caused a huge mix via social media after a video of how they take their morning meal ...[Read more]
- BBNaija Star, Seyi Awolowo Says Cultism Has Reduced Because Of “Yahoo YahooOctober 28, 2020As per Seyi Awolowo, the ex BBNaija housemate, the rate at which cultism was ruling in Nigeria has decreased radically and he is sure that the ...[Read more]
- See Photo Of Charly Boy Rocking Female Blouse And Gele (+Photo)October 28, 2020Charles Chukwuemeka Oputa otherwise known as Charly Boy is pursuing new contentions for himself as he is spotted vigorously dressed like a lady. He ...[Read more]
- NYSC Arrests 43 Hoodlums Over looting at Kubwa Orientation CampOctober 28, 202043 hoodlums have reportedly been arrested with some items recovered by the National Youth Service Corps(NYSC), following their attack in their Abuja ...[Read more]
- Watch how Falz cut his birthday cake yesterdayOctober 28, 2020Nigerian rapper Falz turned 30 years yesterday, October 27, and he celebrated his birthday in grand style. In the video sighted online, the rapper ...[Read more]
- Watch Davido Cruising A 15 Million Naira Can-AM Spyder F3 Trick (+Video)October 28, 2020In an ongoing video, Davido was spotted cruising a 15 Million Naira Can-AM Spyder F3 Trick. It would appear that the Musician is attempting to ...[Read more]
- See The Top 10 World Richest Actors 2020October 28, 2020It’s a well known truth that Hollywood and Bollywood are the top film industry in the world known for delivering the best movies as well as ...[Read more]
- ” Why are you hiding your shoe?” – Netizen asks Ozo After He Shared A PhotographOctober 27, 2020Ex Big Brother Naija housemate, Ozo shared a photograph on his Instagram page which didn’t show his shoes. Shockingly enough, that was what one ...[Read more]