The Abia State Governor, Okezie lkpeazu has inaugurated the State Action and Technical Committees on Gender Based Violence, with a charge on them to formulate and execute policies that will ensure total reduction and eradication of gender based violence in the State.
Speaking while inaugurating the two Committees at the Government House Umuahia, Governor lkpeazu disclosed that Government having noted with concern the increasing rate of gender based violence in the State, country and world at large, deemed it necessary to constitute the two Committees to ascertain how gender based violence can be reduced to the barest minimum and ensure that the women folk live normal lives devoid of pain occasioned by violence meted on them.
The Governor represented by his Deputy, Rt. Hon. Ude Oko Chukwu expressed worry over the violence suffered by women in higher institutions and homes, including the issue of rape, wife battering and abuse of the girl child by parents and called on the State Action and Technical Committees to develop and implement policies around gender based violence and child protection, in addition to forming wider network for Community Action on Gender Based Violence.
He further charged them to advise government and relevant stakeholders on the response and prevention of gender based violence, facilitate awareness and also provide trainings for Agencies and Partners, to articulate, advocate and sensitize the public on issues related to Gender Based Violence, as well as initiate and situate policies that will protect the rights of the child, women and vulnerable groups among others.
The State’s Chief Executive reassured Abians that the present administration is determined to ensure that at the end of the exercise, Gender Based Violence will be totally eradicated in the State and expressed optimism that with the exposure, experience, pedigree and Calibre of members of the two important Committees, they will give a good account of themselves and deliver on schedule.
Responding on behalf of the two Committees, the wife of the Governor and Chairman of the State Action Committee on Gender Based Violence, Mrs Nkechi lkpeazu represented by the Commissioner of Women Affairs, Chief Mrs Ukachi Amala pointed out that the importance of the two Committees cannot be overemphasized considering the wickedness meted on the girl child in the society and promised that they will leave no stone unturned to bring an end to the menace.
The State Action and Technical Committees members are drawn from Heads of Ministerial and Non Ministerial Agencies, representatives from office of the wife of the Governor, FIDA, Child Protection Agency, Law Enforcement Agencies, the Vicar Hope Foundation, Chief Press Secretary, office of the wife of the Governor, Abia State Orientation Agency, NCWS, the BCA, NLC, State Council of Ndieze, CAN, among others. It has Mrs Charity Mbaja and Chinyere Nwogwugwu the Desk Officers of the Ministry of Women Affairs as the Secretaries.
- We came from Sokoto – Suspected kidnappers arrested in EkitiIn Local NewsJanuary 22, 2021A taxi driver, one Tunde Bello, is currently cooling off his heels in the police cell for allegedly kidnapping and raping a 29-year-old lady in Ogun ...[Read more]
- No matter how long it takes, be patient your reward will come – Minister designate Saani Bakery to NPP youthIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Northern Regional Minister-Designate, Alhassan Saani Shaibu known in the political circles as Saani Bakery has advised young politicians to ...[Read more]
- Bill Gates receives COVID-19 vaccineIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company, KADECO, said it has to shut down operations of its Kafanchan business units indefinitely following the ...[Read more]
- Cuomo says NY’s COVID-19 vaccine supply ‘may already be exhausted’In USAJanuary 22, 2021New York state will run out of coronavirus vaccines on Friday — if it hasn’t already, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. “We run out of allocation today. The ...[Read more]
- Taxi driver reportedly kidnaps, rapes passenger in OgunIn Local NewsJanuary 22, 2021A taxi driver, one Tunde Bello, is currently cooling off his heels in the police cell for allegedly kidnapping and raping a 29-year-old lady in Ogun ...[Read more]
- KADECO: Operations in Kafanchan business units closed downIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021Barely a week after the Plateau State University Chapter of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), embarked on an indefinite strike, ...[Read more]
- ‘Phlegm Fatale’ protester appears in court for spitting on NYPD copIn USAJanuary 22, 2021The loogie-launching leftist who spat in the face of an NYPD cop during a November protest was arraigned on a desk appearance ticket Friday. NYU ...[Read more]
- Associate of Brooklyn rapper Casanova bragged about Miami shootingIn USAJanuary 22, 2021A suspected Florida gun trafficker who was charged along with Brooklyn rapper Casanova in the federal takedown of the Gorilla Stone Bloods bragged ...[Read more]
- Tons of foreign rice offloaded at Nigeria’s borders weeks after reopeningIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Nation’s prominent Civil Rights Advocacy group:- HUMAN RIGHTS WRITERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (HURIWA) has cautioned the Nigerian authorities ...[Read more]
- Four killed in gun duel between kidnappers, soldiers in OndoIn Local NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Police Command in Lagos State says it has arrested four police officers who allegedly harassed and extorted N70,000 from a 16-year-old student on ...[Read more]