Abia State Governor, Okezie Ikpeazu, says he is saddened over the death of the ex- Lagos Military Administrator, Rear Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu, Rtd.
Governor Ikpeazu described the death of Kanu as a huge loss to the people of Abia State and Nigeria as a whole.
The Governor, in a statement made available to journalists on Thursday by his Chief Press Secretary, Onyebuchi Ememanka, said that the late Naval Officer was a great son of Abia State who excelled in every aspect of life, recalled the sterling contributions of the Late Admiral as Military Governor of the old Imo State including the establishment of the old Imo Broadcasting Service (IBS) in 1976.
The Late Rear Admiral hailed from Isiukwato Local Government area of Abia State.
However, Governor Ikpeazu’s release partly stated, “From his military career where he served meritoriously in the Navy to his appointment as member of the Supreme Military Council in 1975, to his appointment as the first Military Governor of the old Imo State in March 1976, Military Governor of Lagos State in 1977, amongst others, the Admiral’s life exemplified the best ideals of public service.
“Upon his retirement from the military, Kanu immersed himself in pro democracy struggles and made massive contributions to the fight for the enthronement of democracy in our country through his involvement with NADECO. The democratic rule we enjoy today in Nigeria is one of the fruits of the sacrifices made by Kanu and other compatriots.
“The Late Rear Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu never forgot his roots and made solid contributions to the political development of Abia, his home state. He was a huge reservoir of experience, knowledge and wise counsel which he gladly placed at our disposal as leaders of the State. His death has robbed us of one of our greatest sons. He was a proud son of Abia State and an outstanding Nigerian with impeccable credentials”.
Governor Ikpeazu condoled the family and the people of Isiukwato Local Government Area on the passage of Late Rear Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu and assured that the State Government will liaise with the family and other stakeholders to ensure that he receives a befitting farewell.
The Chief Executive Officer of the State also prayed the Almighty God to grant Late Kanu’s soul eternal.
DAILY POST reports that the retired Rear Admiral, Ndubuisi Kanu, 78, passed away on Wednesday in a hospital after a brief illness.
- Troops arrest two suspected kidnappers in Kaduna villageIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Islamic Movement in Nigeria, IMN, otherwise known as Shi’ites, has lamented the continued incarceration of its leader, Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky ...[Read more]
- Asante Kotoko terminate Sulley Muniru’s contractIn Ghana, SportsJanuary 22, 2021Ghana Premier League side, Kumasi Asante Kotoko, have terminated the contract of midfielder, Sulley Muniru, on a mutual understanding between the two ...[Read more]
- Your Election Is Proof That Democracy Is A Journey – GEJ To Biden, HarrisIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 22, 2021Like many other leaders, former President Goodluck Jonathan has congratulated the 46th President of the United States, Joe Biden, and the first ever ...[Read more]
- Real Madrid manager, Zidane tests positive for COVID-19In COVID-19, SportsJanuary 22, 2021Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, has wished Chelsea boss, Frank Lampard, the best over the Blues’ current struggles. Arteta insisted that he is taking ...[Read more]
- Gunmen abduct village head in KatsinaIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021Gunmen suspected to be bandits have abducted the village head of Raddah community in Charanchi Local Government Area of Katsina State, Alhaji Kabir ...[Read more]
- Sheikh Zakzaky’s wife, Zeenah may have contracted COVID-19, may die in prison – Shi’itesIn COVID-19, NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Islamic Movement in Nigeria, IMN, otherwise known as Shi’ites, has lamented the continued incarceration of its leader, Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky ...[Read more]
- Boko Haram regrouping in Nasarawa – Gov Abdullahi Sule raises alarmIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021Nasarawa Governor Abdulahi Sule has said that members of the dreaded sect, Boko Haram, are regrouping in the state and carrying out acts of violence. ...[Read more]
- “Don’t be offended when people you know don’t support your business” – Kiki OsinbajoIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021Beauty entreprenuer, Kiki Osinbajo has advised people not to take offence when friends don’t support their business. The Vice President’s ...[Read more]
- Kaduna government sacks 65 âillegally recruited teachersâIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Kaduna state government has confirmed the sack of 65 teachers who were “illegally” recruited. Kaduna State Universal Basic ...[Read more]
- Nigerian irregular migrants in Saudi Arabia to be evacuated on January 28 and 29 – Abike Dabiri-ErewaIn NewsJanuary 22, 2021The Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission NIDCOM, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, says Nigerian irregular migrants in Saudi Arabia, will be evacuated ...[Read more]