The Nigerian nurse who died from Coronavirus in the UK was said to have warned about lack of personal protective equipment before getting infected.
Onyenachi Obasi, who worked as a health visitor and nurse is the latest healthcare hero to be named as the death toll of NHS and social care workers reached at least 203.
She fell ill after caring for a Coronavirus patient before being admitted to the Queen’s Hospital in Romford.
The 51-year old mother of one, who had been living in Barking and Dagenham died on May 6 five weeks after being placed on a ventilator in intensive care.
Her niece Ijeoma Uzoukwu, 30, has claimed that Ms. Obasi, who worked as a nurse for 20 years spoke about PPE shortages before she contracted Coronavirus.
She said: ‘She was on the front line and from what we know she wasn’t protected. I don’t know too much about it but she did mention to my mum that she wasn’t protected properly.
‘That’s all I know at the moment.
Ms Uzoukwu added: ‘She has always cared for people. That’s all she knew and what she was really good at.
‘It’s sad that she’s lost her life caring for people. It’s a desperate irony. She was an angel, a really sweet woman. There are hundreds of hearts that have been broken.’
- Doctors strip naked to protest lack of protective equipment (photos)
- My aunt died due to lack of equipment at an Ondo hospital – Seyi Law says as he calls out Governor Akeredolu (video)
- Ondo supplies personal protective equipment
- Provide more Personal Protective Equipment for health workers, Nurses urge Lagos Govt
- Russian nurse who went viral for wearing only lingerie under a see-through protective gown in a male coronavirus ward has become a TV weather presenter
- Russian nurse who went viral for wearing only lingerie under a see-through protective gown in male Coronavirus ward becomes a TV weather presenter (Photos)
- COVID-19: Nigerian US-based invents equipment capable of detecting infected lungs
- Twitter user recounts how a lady suffering from PTSD after her niece got missing, accosted him after seeing him pull his annoyed little niece