The Federal Government on Wednesday flagged off in Bauchi State the extended special public work programme of the National Directorate of Employment (NDE).
The special public work programme is expected to engage a total of 774,000 youths temporarily for three months.
Declaring the programme open in the state, the Acting NDE Director-General, Mallam Abubakar Nuhu Fikpo, said the programme was implemented in eight states of the federation to address unemployment and insecurity issues across the country.
Fikpo informed that President Muhammadu Buhari approved the implementation of the programme in all the 36 states of the federation following the successful conduct of its pilot phase in the first quarter of 2020 in eight states, Adamawa; Borno; Ebonyi; Edo; Ekiti; Jigawa; Katsina and Kwara.
The NDE boss said the special public works was an outcome of extended activities at rural areas approved by President Buhari, which was implemented by the Directorate in early 2020.
He said apart from being an avenue to fast track the Federal Government’s Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (ERGP), the programme was meant to cushion the harsh effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on participants.
“This strategy was adopted to fast track the achievement of the Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (2017-2020).
“However, to cushion the effect of Covid-19, the Federal Government directed the Ministry of Labour and Employment to adopt a proactive measure by engaging in some important economic sector.
“The programme is also aimed at shielding the vulnerable from the ravaging effects of Covid-19 pandemic which include hunger, poverty, environmental degradation and joblessness,” Fikpo said.
He explained that the Federal Government engaged 20,000 selected unemployed indigenes of Bauchi State to execute selected projects across the 20 local government areas of the state.
He added that 1,000 youths were selected from each of the local government areas to make up the 20,000 beneficiaries from the state.
The NDE acting DG, however, warned that the Federal Government would closely monitor the implementation of the programme to ascertain the efficient utilisation of resources committed to the programme.
While soliciting more support in ensuring effective implementation of the programme across the 20 local government areas of the state, Fikpo charged all participants to reciprocate the gesture of the President Buhari-led government by diligently executing their assigned tasks throughout the duration of the programme.
In his address at the occasion, the Bauchi State governor, Senator Bala Abdulkadir Mohammed, applauded the Federal Government for initiating the programme aimed at assisting in lifting Nigerians out of poverty.
Governor Mohammed, who was represented by the state Commissioner for Small, Medium Enterprises and Poverty Alleviation, Modibbo Ahmed, expressed his administration’s commitments to collaborating with NDE with a view to ensuring
a smooth implementation of the programme across the state.
He then urged beneficiaries to take advantage of the programme to improve their socio-economic status.
DAILY POST reports that the public works programme involves engaging the 774,000 youths from the 774 local government areas in the country. Each participant is to be paid N20,000 per month for a period of three months.
- SAD NEWS: Actor Eddie Nartey’s Wife Dies 2 Years After Their MarriageIn EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021Actor Eddie Nartey‘s wife, Vida Obenewah Nartey, is dead just two years after their marriage. Teary Eddie Nartey announced the death of his wife in ...[Read more]
- BREAKING: Gunmen shoot soldier dead, cart away rifle in DeltaIn Local NewsJanuary 25, 2021A 48-year-old man, Akeem Bello, on Monday appeared before an Ikorodu Magistrates’ Court for allegedly causing the death of two persons through ...[Read more]
- Man in court over alleged manslaughter in LagosIn Local NewsJanuary 25, 2021A total of 176 persons have died in various road crashes that occurred across Ogun State between January and December 2020, DAILY POST learnt. The ...[Read more]
- Mzbel’s Beljam Records Introduces Signee Heartman With First Single Titled ‘For You’In Entertainment, MzbelJanuary 25, 2021On Friday, BelJam Records’ CEO Belinda Nana Ekua Amoah (Mzbel) outdoors her new signee Heartman Lali Ezuh (HeartMan) at an unveiling meeting with the ...[Read more]
- Zamfara : 8,000 civil servants petition NLC over pension refundIn NewsJanuary 25, 2021Nigerian Government through the National Information Technology Development Agency, NITDA, has reminded all data controllers and processors in the ...[Read more]
- Simi Explains Why She Named Her Album “Restless II” While On Apple MusicIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 25, 2021First-time mum singer and songwriter Simi was on Apple Music 1 over the weekend with Alexis Nadeska as she discusses her latest album “Restless II”. ...[Read more]
- Mind Your Business – Sonia, Jude Ighalo’s Wife Slams Fan Who Asked About Her MarriageIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021Sonia Ighalo wife of football star Jude Ighalo wants everyone to mind their business and stay out of any conversations involving her marriage. The ...[Read more]
- Woman cries out in pain as cows destroy her farmland (Video)In Gossip, Viral NewsJanuary 25, 2021A video has surfaced online showing the moment a woman arrived at her farmland only to see cows eating and destroying her crops. A bike man had ...[Read more]
- Man curses Governor Makinde as he shares video from scene of an alleged Fulani herdsmen attack he survived with his family (video)In NewsJanuary 25, 2021A Nigerian man who identified himself as Olarewanju a.k.a St. Larry has shared a video from the scene of an alleged Fulani herdsmen attack he ...[Read more]
- “I am so proud of this achievement” – 36-year-old Bauchi carpenter becomes father of 13 children as his four wives give birth within 3 weeksIn NewsJanuary 25, 2021A 36-year-old carpenter from Zango ward, Bauchi State, Nura Walwala Magaji, is over the moon after his four wives gave birth within three weeks, ...[Read more]