The Federal Government has reiterated that schools will not open soon.
Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba, made this known while responding to a question during the daily briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 pandemic.
He stated that no date has been picked because children could be endangered.
Nwajiuba said, “The president actually addressed the issue of the opening of the economy gradually. Until that is done, we can’t foresee or immediately tell you when all the schools will be reopened.
“It will not be proper for us to simply give you a date. It has to be in tandem with these opening terms. We don’t want to put our children at risk. None of these schools can function on their own without the society.”
The Minister also explained that the West African Examinations Council has not cancelled examination as speculated.
According to him, students will sit for their exams when the government was sure to have taken good care of the pupils.
He noted that the exams was postponed indefinitely so that a definite date would be picked.
Recall that President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday announced a gradual lockdown relaxation in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, Lagos and Ogun States.
- Soldiers arrest Chief of Staff of Biafra group, membersIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021
- Egypt unveils 3000-year old coffins in latest archaeological discoveryIn LifestyleJanuary 18, 2021CAIRO – Egypt has unveiled a significant new archaeological discovery at the Saqqara necropolis south of Cairo, including 54 wooden coffins, many of ...[Read more]
- Anambra Governor’s wife, Ebele Obiano takes COVID-19 vaccine in America (Video)In Health, Viral NewsJanuary 18, 2021Wife of Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra State, Ebelechukwu Obiano has received the Covid-19 vaccine in Houston, Texas, USA. Ebele Obiano said that ...[Read more]
- Tommy Hilfiger dumps $45 million Greenwich mansion for sunny FloridaIn LifestyleJanuary 18, 2021Just about everybody seems to be moving to Florida — including Tommy Hilfiger, who dumped his $45 million Greenwich mansion for warmer ...[Read more]
- Chinese restaurant goes viral for ‘extremely honest’ menuIn LifestyleJanuary 18, 2021This restaurant certainly can’t be accused of overselling its menu. A Chinese restaurant in Montreal is going viral for its ...[Read more]
- De Blasio, Sharpton and mayoral candidates attend MLK Day event in NYCIn USAJanuary 18, 2021Mayor Bill de Blasio and a half-dozen New Yorkers seeking to replace him at City Hall will commemorate Martin Luther King Jr. Day with speeches at ...[Read more]
- We are focused on security, economy, anti-corruption – BuhariIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021
- Premier League records 16 COVID-19 casesIn COVID-19, Premier League, SportsJanuary 18, 2021The Premier League has announced that 16 positive coronavirus cases were recorded in the latest week of testing. It marks a significant reduction ...[Read more]
- 2023: Nnamdi Kanu accused of working against Igbo presidencyIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021
- Militants attack shipyard in Akwa Ibom over failure to pay N20m settlementIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021