Protesters have vandalized the Democratic Party headquarters in Portland and Oregon and a federal US Immigration and Customs Enforcement building, CNN reports.
The CNN on Thursday quoted a police Sgt. Kevin Allen, a spokesperson for the Portland Police Bureau, as saying in a video statement that at least four demonstrations were planned in the city.
Allen explained that while two of the protests remained peaceful, the others resulted in “property damage.”
The police spokesman further explained that a group of about 150 people converged on the ICE building in the South Waterfront neighborhood Wednesday evening around 9 p.m.
He said that some of them were carrying pepper ball guns, fireworks, shields, rocks and “electronic control weapons similar to Tasers.”
Allen explained further that the gathering was declared unlawful by federal officials after protesters started throwing rocks and vandalizing the building, Allen said.
Allen said that police were in the surrounding neighborhood and “some arrests were made.”
A crowd of about 150 people were said to have gathered at Revolution Hall before marching to the Oregon state Democratic Party headquarters.
Portland Police added that officers on bicycles encountered the protesters in a parking lot at Revolution Hall, where “(d)ozens of people pressed in on the officers and then took one of the officers’ bicycles.”
The demonstrators then left Revolution Hall and marched to the Democratic Party headquarters, where they “smashed windows and vandalized the building,” Allen said.
At one point, the crowd “showed aggression by swarming officers and throwing objects,” Allen said.
Another showed the crowd making their way up the street, many of them clad in all black, carrying a sign that read, “We are ungovernable.”
CNN reports the demonstration was billed as a protest against Joe Biden and law enforcement, while supporting the rights of indigenous people.
Democratic Party in the State of Oregon have reacted to the incident in a statement, saying that none of its staff were in the building at the time, adding that they are “frustrated and disappointed.”
“This is not the first time our building has been vandalized during the past year — none of the prior incidents have deterred us from our important work to elect Democrats up and down the ballot, and this one will be no different,” the statement said.
Joe Biden was sworn in on Wednesday as the 46th President of America.
Before the swearing in ceremony on Wednesday, there was a deadly attack on the US Capitol leading to the death of some citizens.
Former President Donald Trump was accused of having incited his supporters to carry out the attack as a final push to stop the certification of Joe Biden as the winner of the November 3 presidential election. He was impeached a week later.
- Basketmouth Produced Web-Series Papa Benji Ep.12 “The Lies Men Tell”In Celebrity News, EntertainmentFebruary 28, 2021Episode 12 of Basketmouth‘s comedy web series “Papa Benji” is here. This episode is tagged “The Lies Men Tell”. “Papa Benj” comedy features ...[Read more]
- Buhari, Tinubu, El-Rufai All Called For Jonathan’s Resign – Femi Falana Calls For The Release Of DawisuIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsFebruary 28, 2021Human Rights lawyer and activist, Femi Falana has released an official statement calling for the release of Salihu Tanko Yakasai “Dawisu”, the former ...[Read more]
- Actress, Adesua Shares Adorable Photos Of When She Was Pregnant and After Pregnancy (Photos)In Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Popular Nollywood actress and wife of Banky W, Adesua-Etomi Wellington has recently shared some photos of when she was heavy with her child and some ...[Read more]
- Queens woman struggles with home invaders at gunpoint, intense video showsIn USAFebruary 28, 2021Shocking video shows a Queens woman struggling with two home invaders — including one who put a gun to the victim’s head and barked “If you cry, I ...[Read more]
- Mohammed Dauda scores first Anderlecht goal in win over Standard LiegeIn Ghana, SportsFebruary 28, 2021Ghana forward, Mohammed Dauda, has scored his first goal for Anderlecht in their 3-1 win over Standard Liege on Sunday in the Belgium Jupiler League. ...[Read more]
- CBN Depreciates Naira To N410/$1 From N360/$1 – Godwin Emefiele ConfirmsIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsFebruary 28, 2021PIC. 10. GOVERNOR OF CENTRAL BANK, MR GODWIN EMEFIELE, DISPLAYING THE NEW N100 NAIRA COMMEMORATIVE CENTENARY BANKNOTE AFTER THE UNVEILING IN ABUJA ON ...[Read more]
- ‘I Chose Peace Of Mind’ – Davido Cryptically Confirms Dumping Chioma For American Model, Mya YafaiIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, Nigeria NewsFebruary 28, 2021Davido in a new social media post has confirmed breaking up with his favorite babymama, Chioma and now seeing American model, Mya Ayafai. KOKO TV ...[Read more]
- “One Can’t Post In Peace, These Shallow Jobless People Read Deeper Meanings Into Every Post” – Olakunle Churchill LamentsIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, Nigeria NewsFebruary 28, 2021Olakunle Churchill took to his Instagram page this morning to lament on how trolls misinterprete some of his post on social media. Churchill had ...[Read more]
- One Day We Will All Learn To Leave Nigerian Men Alone – Burna Boy’s Ex-lover, Jo Pearl Reacts To Davido Dumping Chioma For Mya YafaiIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, Nigeria NewsFebruary 28, 2021Burna Boy’s alleged ex-lover, Jo Pearl has reacted to a video of Davido holding hands with another woman in St. Maarten. In a viral video shared ...[Read more]
- EPL: Tuchel slams referee for checking VAR after Hudson-Odoi’s handballIn EPL, SportsFebruary 28, 2021Mikel Arteta has hailed his Arsenal side following their 3-1 win over Leicester City on Sunday. Leicester took the lead early on at the King Power ...[Read more]