Residents of Anambra Housing Corporation Estate, phase two, have accused some officials of the Anambra State government of fighting to grab a parcel of land meant for the building of a recreational centre in the estate.
The Chairman of the Association in the estate, Prof Stanley Udedi who spoke to journalists during a meeting of elders of the estate, on Thursday, lamented that the recreational centre which has been in existence since the 18 years existence of the estate was being claimed by some government functionaries.
“We are residents of this estate, this is where we hold our social and sporting activities, and it is the only vacant land in the entire estate.
“This piece of land has been here for 18 years now and the land for the recreational facility was part of the masterplan of the estate, but today they want to sell it off,” he lamented.
Udedi said the residents of the estate have been at loggerheads with officials of the Anambra State Housing Development Corporation over the parcel of land while insisting that the plan to sell off the land is not unassociated with the fact that the Governor Willie Obiano administration would come to an end soon.
“They are just looking for ways to grab every available land because their administration would come to an end soon.
“Government which should be promoting recreational activities to enhance longevity among citizens is now selling off the only land where we can relax. We will not let them. We are ready to Battle them in court,” Udedi said.
Meanwhile, Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Mr C Don Adinuba who reacted to the allegation of land grabbing by government agents said one cannot be said to be grabbing what belongs to him.
Adinuba said, “The governor has the powers in law to take over any land for the overriding public interest.
“It’s infantile to accuse the government of land-grabbing on land it owns already. The governor can revoke the land they are talking about for overriding public interest. Its infra digs to accuse the government or its agents of land-grabbing.
“The quality of thinking of some people is becoming so frightening. If they feel aggrieved, they should go to court instead of engaging in scandalously childish drama.”
- Judge drops case against homeless woman who stole USPS truck in BrooklynIn USAJanuary 17, 2021A Brooklyn judge dismissed the charges against the homeless woman who took a stolen US Postal Service truck on a joyride Friday and left “vehicular ...[Read more]
- Amosun, Akinlade mourn Martins-KuyeIn NewsJanuary 17, 2021Former Ogun State Governor, Sen. Ibikunle Amosun and a governorship candidate, Hon. Adekunle Akinlade has sympathised with the family of a late ...[Read more]
- COVID-19: Lagos govt gives update on academic schedule for public, private schoolsIn COVID-19, NewsJanuary 17, 2021
- Former NYS Dem Party head gets vaccinated — in FloridaIn USAJanuary 17, 2021It’s all going south. A former head of New York Democratic Party has already received his first dose of the coronavirus vaccine — no thanks to Gov. ...[Read more]
- Starbucks shuts down several Manhattan stores over possible protestsIn USAJanuary 17, 2021Several Starbucks stores across Manhattan shuttered Sunday amid fears of protests, the company said. The coffee-chain giant cited possible ...[Read more]
- NYC families say DOE dropped French dual-language program at last minuteIn USAJanuary 17, 2021The city Department of Education abandoned a fledgling French dual-language program at the 11th-hour last week after stonewalling parents for months, ...[Read more]
- Four reportedly killed, residents desert community as cultists clash in BakassiIn Local NewsJanuary 17, 2021Two cemetery guards were on Sunday arrested by men of the Ondo State Security Network Agency, otherwise known as Amotekun Corps for alleged ...[Read more]
- NY man busted for alleged role in Capitol riot — after outing himself onlineIn USAJanuary 17, 2021A New York man has been arrested for his alleged role in the deadly US Capitol invasion — after posting an image of the mob to Instagram with the ...[Read more]
- Ex- Oyo Amateur Boxing Chair, Opaleye is deadIn SportsJanuary 17, 2021A former Chairman, Oyo State Amateur Boxing Association, Mr. Akintunde Opaleye is dead. DAILY POST gathered that Olaleye died on Sunday at the ...[Read more]
- Arsenal vs Newcastle: Gunners give injury updates on Martinelli, TierneyIn SportsJanuary 17, 2021Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, will have Gabriel Martinelli and Kieran Tierney available for Monday night’s Premier League game with Newcastle. ...[Read more]