The organised labour in Kwara State is worried over what it described as the insincerity of the state government on the issue of implementation of the new minimum wage for workers.
The labour movement said it arrived at the conclusion after a look at the situation surrounding the non-payment of the minimum wage in the state since April 2019, after the bill was signed into law by President Muhammadu Buhari.
This is according to a press statement issued by the body in Ilorin on Thursday.
The statement titled ‘ Insincerity of Government on the Issue of Minimum Wage in Kwara State’ was signed by the state NLC chairman, Aliyu Issa Ore, Comrade Joseph Tunde, Acting chairman, TUC, and Comrade Saliu Suleiman, chairman JNC.
It said the government inaugurated the minimum wage committee on December 29, 2019, but up till the moment, the issue remains inconclusive.
“Out of the 36 states of the federation, over 94 percent has overcome the issue of minimum wage and even provided other welfare packages to the workers of their various states for effective and efficient service delivery.
“It is worrisome, to note that in Kwara state, we are still a merry-go-round on the issue of minimum wage, despite the current allocation of revenue and internally generated revenue in the state.
“The government has resorted to probating and reprobating on the minimum wage issue, all in the sense of denying the workers and the economy of the state a stimulus factor for growth and development of human beings in the state,” the statement added.
It further expressed worry that “the committee at the last meeting rejected attempts to smuggle into the discussion, a table that was not agreed by the labour side on payment of the little amounts as a consequential adjustment for GL-07, and above in the state cannot be accepted by the movement.”
The organised labour, however, passionately appealed to workers in the state to embark on serious prayers against all forces working against the signing and implementation of the minimum wage in the state.
DAILY POST reports that a suit in respect of the controversial minimum wage filed by the state government will come up for further hearing on Thursday, January 14, 2021, at the Akure division of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria, NICN.
- EPL: Arteta gives injury updates on Partey, Smith Rowe ahead of Man Utd clashIn EPL, SportsJanuary 27, 2021Odion Ighalo, on Tuesday, paid tribute to Manchester United with a farewell letter. The Nigerian striker thanked Man United management and fans ...[Read more]
- The north became NDC when Adu Boahen said give them kerosene not electricity – John Tia recalls ’92 insultsIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Former Information Minister John Tia has revealed why people in the Northern part of Ghana always vote for the National Democratic Congress (NDC). ...[Read more]
- “Richest ashewo” – Bobrisky says while flaunting jewelry worth N12.4MIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 27, 2021The most talked-about male barbie in Nigeria, Bobrisky has flaunted the worth of jewelry he wore to a date worth over N12.4m. In a recent video on ...[Read more]
- Why Ewe traditional rulers boycotted Rawlings’ funeral explained, his wife Konadu fingeredIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Former National Women of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Anita Desoso says the Ewe Chiefs and family of the late former President of Ghana ...[Read more]
- Rawlings’ revolution was Ghana’s gateway to real development – Former MinisterIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Former Information Minister and former Member of Parliament(MP) for the Talensi Constituency in the Upper East Region, John Tia says Rawlings’ ...[Read more]
- Supreme court not a theatre for dramatic English without legal merit – Akufo-Addo’s lawyer to Mahama’s lawyerIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Member of the legal team for the second respondent in the election 2020 petition Frank Davies has chided his colleagues, Lawyers for the petitioners ...[Read more]
- Ibrahimovic apologizes for red card after clash with LukakuIn SportsJanuary 27, 2021Everton boss, Carlo Ancelotti, has said that Frank Lampard did well as Chelsea manager during his time at the West London club. Ancelotti, who was ...[Read more]
- It’s ignorance to blame ‘innocent’ Godfred Dame for SALL – Ex lecturer replies ‘all-knowing’ Franklin CudjoeIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021A former Lecturer of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Mustapha Hameed has lashed out at IMANI President Franklin ...[Read more]
- 2024 will be ‘cool chop’ for me as NDC candidate if NPP presents Bawumia – Atubiga boastsIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021A member of the National Democratic Congress’ Communications team Stephen Atubiga has noted that the New Patriotic Party (NPP) must not betray Dr. ...[Read more]
- Governor AbdulRazaq repeals payment of pension to former Governors and deputies in Kwara stateIn NewsJanuary 27, 2021Governor AbdulRazaq Abdulrahman has repealed that payment of pension to former governors and their deputies in Kwara ...[Read more]