Here’s one more thing the Board of Elections can’t count!
The Big Apple’s scandal-marred elections agency failed to keep track of the thousands of computer tablets it uses for poll books, to train staff and to transmit unofficial results on Election Night, The Post has learned.
The Department of Investigation audit uncovered the startling failures in March 2020 as they inspected the Board of Elections headquarters and borough offices, the documents, obtained under the Freedom of Information Law, show.
Only the BOE’s Brooklyn operation kept track of the Apple iPads it was assigned as part of the $24 million effort to digitalize Gotham’s old-school poll books, which voters must sign before casting their ballots.
An official at the Queens office guessed they kept 800 of the ‘poll pads’ on hand — but had no hard count, the DOI reported.
The BOE offices in The Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island didn’t keep an inventory either.
“None of the other [facilities] managed a centralized master list or database of onsite poll pads,” DOE inspectors wrote in a letter sent to the BOE Executive Director Michael Ryan on April 8.
The BOE bought 10,000 iPads to serve as poll books from Know Ink in 2019, records show.
The tablets and accessories — including receipt printers — cost $9.9 million alone, accounting for nearly half of the $23.9 million contract, documents filed with the Comptroller’s Office show.
The problems weren’t limited to the iPad poll books.
The review discovered that BOE officials also failed to keep tabs on the agency’s Microsoft Surface tablets, which perform a variety of functions including transmitting unofficial results after the polls close on Election Night, checking in poll workers and training the agency’s staff.
The DOI report singled out the BOE’s Poll Site Devices Unit — which is in charge of ordering tablets and tracking them — for special ire.
Investigators “found it to be disorganized, unkempt and in general disarray,” it states. “Although DOI observed some tablets stored in a locked storage room, a majority of tablets were stored in unlocked storage carts or crats or on desks and tables.”
The unit, which offices out of the BOE’s Lower Manhattan headquarters, also failed to produce a list of the number of tablets assigned to its care.
One staffer estimated that 577 Microsoft tablets were stored there, but DOI’s audit turned up more than 1,000 machines — 133 of which were broken.
None of the BOE’s five borough offices produced an accurate count of the machines in their inventories either.
Good government advocates assailed the latest failure by the patronage-laden Board of Elections, which is run by the county Democratic and Republican parties under state law — and largely exempt from any local oversight.
“The NYC BOE is a dysfunctional relic of New York City’s corrupt past,” said John Kaehny, executive director of reform group Reinvent Albany. “It’s a patronage pit and the state should give the city the power to abolish it and replace it with a non-partisan, professionally staffed, agency modeled on the Campaign Finance Board.”
The DOI review is the latest in a string of black eyes for the agency. It’s come under intense scrutiny after:
After making a mess of the June primaries, a top figure at the state Board of Elections crafted a six-page reform plan and requested a sitdown with the city BOE’s commissioners — only to get the brush-off.
“All electronic equipment associated with Election operations is accounted for. There is no missing equipment,” insisted BOE spokeswoman Valerie Vazquez
New York Post
- Video of Nigerians in Scotland calling President Buhari a bad boy surfaces online, Watch video hereOctober 25, 2020Nigerians who are outside the country is not giving up at all as they keep on protesting until the government will listen to them and reach out to ...[Read more]
- Femi Kuti encourages BBNaija for her act of kindness towards the needyOctober 25, 2020The wife of popular Nigerian musician Femi Kuti has out of her heart showered Big Brother Nigeria star, Erica, with divine blessings for her act of ...[Read more]
- Davido advises protesters from burning down police stations, burning buses and looting shopsOctober 25, 2020CEO of DMW Davido has taken to social media to condemn protesters burning down police stations, burning buses and looting shops. According to Davido, ...[Read more]
- See what Nengi told her fansOctober 25, 2020Former BBNaija housemate Nengi has admonished her fans to desist from insulting people on her behalf. Nengi According to her, they should rather show ...[Read more]
- See what is going on between BBNaija Prince and EricaOctober 25, 2020Former Big Brother Naija Housemates, Prince and Erica have got fans talking after a photo of the two from a video call hit the internet. ...[Read more]
- ENDSARS: Nigerians In Paris Stage Their Protest In Solidarity With Those At Home (+Photos)October 25, 2020The protest to see a conclusion to police brutalities looks positive and unabated in spite of the administration intrigues. So as to end it at home, ...[Read more]
- See Gorgeous Photos From Ex-BBNaija Housemate, Tolanibaj’s BirthdayOctober 25, 2020Previous Big Brother Naija housemate, Tolanibaj turned 27 5 days prior and denoted her birthday at a private gathering. Tragically, she was unable to ...[Read more]
- Fearless Ibrah Says Kennedy Agyapong Will Go Mad Or Commit Suicide Before 10th JanuaryOctober 25, 2020Ghanaian mogul Ibrahim Dauda prevalently known as Ibrah One is attempting to place himself into inconvenience again as he has begun another battle he ...[Read more]
- Bobrisky Says He Is Done With Makeup (+Photo)October 25, 2020Well known Nigerian crossdresser Bobrisky has guaranteed his fans to avoid cosmetics and serve them with his natural beauty. As per Bobrisky, he will ...[Read more]
- Man Calls Out Comedian Ebiye For Selling A Benz He Purchased From HimOctober 25, 2020A man @MrPsalms on Twitter, has accused Comedian Ebiye of selling the Benz he purchased from him using a loan and losing the cash to forex exchanging ...[Read more]