The Presidency has blasted former President Olusegun Obasanjo for his comments about the division of the country under the Muhammadu Buhari Administration.
Obasanjo, on Thursday, in a speech titled “Moving Nigeria away from tipping over”, stated that the country was slowly becoming a failed state.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, in a statement titled “Obasanjo is Nigeria’s Divider-in-Chief,” responded to Obasanjo’s claims.
“In his most recent statement, former President Olusegun Obasanjo attempts to divide the nation while President Muhammadu Buhari continues to promote nation-building and the unity of Nigeria.
“The difference is clear. From the lofty heights of Commander-in-Chief, General Obasanjo has descended to the lowly level of Divider-in-Chief (to adapt the coinage of Time).”
“The fact that the process he ushered in under his administration with the dubious intention of amendments that sought tenure elongation failed-as did two other attempts by the successor administrations of the same political party- does not in any way justify his dismissal of the exercise by the 9th Assembly as another waste of time and resources.
“To the credit of the All Progressives Congress-led 8th Assembly, the process of constitutional amendment was kickstarted and carried through, paving the way for, among other benefits, the financial independence of local government councils, states Houses of Assembly and the country’s judiciary. These changes have already been signed into laws by the President as mandated by the constitution.
“The recent decisions by the administration as they relate to subsidy withdrawal, helping to plug some of the most horrendous notorious holes and release of scarce resources for the more pressing needs of the people has also not escaped the ire of the former President.
“It’s a known fact that the withdrawal of subsidies had been on the wish list of the Obasanjo-led Peoples Democratic Party, PDP. They failed in achieving these measures because, one there was a shared greed. They plundered the treasury as much as anyone could in the name of either subsidy or waiver with reckless impunity.
“Two, is to say it takes courage and rare statesmanship on the part of a leader to do as President Buhari to shun populism and seek the best interest of the people and the state, providing the kind of reform and development that Nigeria urgently needs.”
- Wizkid fans blast Davido for congratulating Wizkid over ‘Made In Lagos’ album, See whyOctober 30, 2020Wizkid fans have taken to social media to tear Davido apart for congratulating their king over his ‘Made In Lagos’ album. Davido has congratulated ...[Read more]
- Wizkid Overlooks Davido’s tweet, Acknowledges Burna Boy, Yemi Alade, othersOctober 30, 2020Starboy Wizkid has again overlooked DMW boss, Davido’s show of love on social media. It should be recalled that earlier today, Davido took to ...[Read more]
- Popular Singer, Tiwa Savage Ignores Wizkid’s Newly Released Album, Made In LagosOctober 30, 2020Popular Singer, Tiwa Savage has ignored Wizkid’s newly released album, Made In Lagos. Starboy had on Friday released his long-anticipated ...[Read more]
- Wizkid’s MIL album will make our population increase, Says Footballer, Asisat OshoalaOctober 30, 2020Nigerian female footballer, Asisat Oshoala has showered acclaims on the superstar, Wizkid on the recently delivered album, Made In Lagos. The Super ...[Read more]
- Davido Compliments Wizkid On His New Album, Made In LagosOctober 30, 2020DMW boss, Davido has complimented Starboy Wizkid on his new collection, Made In Lagos, which dropped today, October 30. This is coming after one of ...[Read more]
- Apologize to Nigerians, Georgina Onuoha blast Desmond Elliot over the social media regulation sagaOctober 30, 2020Georgina Onuoha has angrily descended on Desmond Elliot over the social media regulation saga, after she was informed that, Desmond has already ...[Read more]
- Avoid the temptation of replying everything online, Zubby Micheal advises fansOctober 30, 2020Popular Nollywood actor Zubby Michael has taken to his social media page to caution all those who comment online adding that they would soon be ...[Read more]
- World Health Organisation insist hooligans attacked one of its offices in Nigeria on ThursdayOctober 30, 2020The World Health Organisation has said in a statement that some hooligans attacked one of its offices in Nigeria on Thursday, 29th October 2020, and ...[Read more]
- Desmond Elliot allegedly fathered a child with another woman without his wife’s knowledge, See details hereOctober 30, 2020Popular Nigerian actor and politician Desmond Elliot has allegedly fathered a child with another woman without his wife’s knowledge. Rumours ...[Read more]
- WizKid “Made In Lagos” gets 300 thousand views in the space of 3 hours(Pictures)October 30, 2020It is another win for internationally recognized Nigerian singer and songwriter Wizkid, as his much-anticipated album “Made In Lagos” has garnered ...[Read more]