Four days to the National Election of the apex Igbo socio-cultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, the exercise has taken a different dimension.
This is as the Secretary-General of the Igbo organization, Barr. Uche Okwukwu has dragged the President-General, Chief John Nnia Nwodo to court, seeking to stop him from conducting the exercise.
The tenure of the current Ohanaeze Executive is expected to elapse this January.
Nwodo is the sole defendant in the suit, in his capacity as the President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo.
Okwukwu has been at loggerheads with Nwodo, leading recently to the inauguration of parallel Ohanaeze Election Committee.
He is, however, claiming that the Ime Obi meeting of Ohanaeze where the Nwodo-leadership inaugurated an election committee was null and void as the latter had no powers to summon such a meeting.
The Secretary-General has now approached the court insisting that the committee he set remained the only body legally empowered to go ahead with the election.
Apart from praying the court to stop Nwodo’s committee from going ahead with the election, he is also seeking the sum of N50,000,000 (fifty million naira) as general damages.
In a court process filed before an Umuahia High Court and and available to DAILY POST, he is seeking an order of Court “setting aside any decision taken by the Defendant and the members of Ohanaeze Ndigbo at the Ime Obi meeting on 20th day of December, 2020, as being nugatory, null and void and of no effect whatsoever, same having not been summoned by the plaintiff in accordance with the provisions of Article 11 of the Ohanaeze Ndigbo Constitution.
In the suit No HU/2021, Okwukwu is seeking “an order of court validating the Ime Obi meeting of 31st day of December, 2020 in Owerri and properly summoned by the plaintiff in accordance with the Constitution and all the decisions reached therein as valid, authentic and subsisting.
“An order setting aside the purported Electoral Committee set up by the defendant without due process.
“An order of the honourable court validating the Electoral Committee headed by Prince Richard Ozobu as the authentic one.
“An order of perpetual injunction restraining the defendant, his agents, privies and servants from summoning any meeting of the National Executive Committee, NEC, Imeobi and National General Assembly or any other meetings at all without the knowledge of the plaintiff pending the hearing and determination of this substantive suit.”
- Insecurity: Why North, govt must embrace Sheikh Gumi’s peace initiative – ClericIn NewsJanuary 21, 2021Northern Christian leaders have welcomed the move by Dr. Sheik Ahmad Gumi to lead a negotiation team with herdsmen for the stability of peace in the ...[Read more]
- Focus On The Present! Lilian Afegbai Says As She Gives A Sleek Pinky LookIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 21, 2021
- Fulham vs Man United: Rio Ferdinand singles out one player after EPL 2-1 winIn EPL, SportsJanuary 21, 2021Manchester United star, Paul Pogba, has compared Edinson Cavani to Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood following the Red Devils’ ...[Read more]
- COVID-19: Reps member, Akande-Sadipe recounts battle with coronavirusIn coronavirus, COVID-19, NewsJanuary 21, 2021The Chemo-Genomics Research Institute of Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti, CRIA, in collaboration with the ABUAD Multi-system Hospital, AMSH, have ...[Read more]
- Anambra police arrest four suspected armed robbers, recover arms, ammunitionIn Local NewsJanuary 21, 2021Police in Anambra State have arrested four suspected armed robbers and have also recovered arms and ammunition used by the syndicates. The Police ...[Read more]
- Alex Unusual Reveals She’s Not Been In A Relationship Since 2018In Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 21, 2021TV reality star Asogwa Alexandra popularly known as Alex Unusual has let out a vital information about her love life and relationship status. Alex ...[Read more]
- Strike: Plateau State University workers threaten strike, issue 7-day ultimatum to governmentIn Education, NewsJanuary 21, 2021Workers of Plateau State University (PLASU) have issued a seven-day ultimatum to the State Government to improve funding for the institution or face ...[Read more]
- Former Super Eagles assistant coach Joe Erico is deadIn NewsJanuary 21, 2021Super Eagles former goalkeeper trainer and assistant coach, Joe Erico, has died aged 72. Erico reportedly passed away on Tuesday morning, January 19, ...[Read more]
- These are The Music Albums Gave Us Happy Moments in 2020…In NewsJanuary 21, 2021This is a Sponsored post… It should be of note that when it comes to the entertainment industry in Africa, Nigeria has taken the lead and is ...[Read more]
- Afe Babalola University records scientific breakthrough on COVID-19In COVID-19, Health, NewsJanuary 21, 2021The Chemo-Genomics Research Institute of Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti, CRIA, in collaboration with the ABUAD Multi-system Hospital, AMSH, have ...[Read more]