Ovie Omo-Agege, deputy senate president, has told those pressuring President Muhammadu Buhari to reopen the economy that only the living benefit from the economy.
The Deputy speaker, while speaking during Tuesday plenary, said he is worried over the “raging agitation” for Buhari to reopen the economy in the face of COVID-19.
The motion entitled “COVID-19 Pandemic: Reviewing the national response to the challenges and the way forward” was sponsored by Abdullahi Yahaya, the majority leader.
He said, “What concerns me most is the raging agitation to rush Mr President to reopen the country. Mr President, I’m worried and very concerned.”
“I am still bewildered why the decision of lockdown was still limited to these three states. What concerns me the most is the urging agitation to reopen the economy. I am worried and concerned. The argument is being made that the cure should not be worse than the problem. People are worried about the effect of the pandemic.
“It is my belief that you have to be alive first before you can seek the benefit of an economy. It does not appear that those who are clamouring for the reopening of this economy are mindful of that. For a historian, we know what occurred in 1918, following the Spanish flu, we remember how people were agitating and as soon as that was done, there was a spike off the spread of the disease. T
“hat was in 1918 and 1919. I am worried that the president is now being pressured. In the first 14 days of the lockdown, we didn’t prepare enough by way of palliatives. There is this misconception that the federal government has the responsibility to provide the palliatives. That should not be the situation.”
- Only The Living Seek Economic Benefit, Omo-Agege Tells Those Pressuring Buhari To Reopen Economy
- Constitution review: Omo-Agege tells kinsmen to lobby for state creation
- Omo-Agege reacts to Ibrahim Gambari’s appointment as Buhari’s Chief of Staff
- Lawan, Omo-Agege mourn Buhari’s nephew
- Churches, Mosques Pressuring Govt To Reopen Centers – Tunde Bakare
- Harvard, MIT accuse Trump of pressuring colleges to reopen, kick against barring international students
- Lawan/Omo-Agege synergy and the 9th Assembly
- Eid El Kabir: Lawan, Omo-Agege, Ekweremadu, others felicitate with Muslims
- Sallah: Lawan, Omo- Agege, Ekweremadu, others call for sacrifice, unity, peaceful coexistence
- DSP, Omo-Agege felicitates with Ekweremadu at 58