Outgoing US Ambassador to China Terry Branstad slammed Beijing on Friday over its handling of the coronavirus when it first emerged in the country — saying that “what could have been contained in Wuhan ended up becoming a worldwide pandemic,” according to a report.
The former two-term Iowa governor agreed with President Trump that China is to blame for the global outbreak, telling CNN in Beijing that the “Chinese system was such that they covered it up and even penalized the doctors who pointed it out at the beginning.”
China has repeatedly denied botching its handling of the early stages of the pandemic.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declined Monday to provide a reason for the sudden departure of Branstad, who began his diplomatic stint in China in 2017.
His departure comes as relations between Washington and Beijing continue to hit new lows.
Relations between the two countries tanked this year over Chinese concealment of early coronavirus data and the central government’s elimination of political autonomy in Hong Kong.
On Friday, Branstad blamed China’s system for leading to heightened tensions and a falling out between the two governments, as he told CNN that he was looking forward to return to the US next month.
Asked whether he will campaign on behalf of Trump, the ambassador said that “if the president asks me to appear at some of his events, I will, as I did in 2016.”
The 73-year-old told Hong Kong’s Phoenix TV that will work on behalf of the president, Sen. Joni Ernst and others, but not in an official role.
“My son is very involved in (Trump’s) campaign, and I will be a volunteer to help him, to help Joni Ernst and other friends for the election in Iowa. But I will strictly be a volunteer,” Branstad said.
Ernst, Iowa’s junior senator, is locked in a tight race, with Democrats hoping to capture her seat on the way to flipping the Senate.
Branstad also said he considered the “phase one” trade deal between China and the US as his biggest achievement during his time in China.
The deal, which was reached in January amid the ongoing tariff war between the sides, represented a truce but did not address the more fundamental US complaints.
Still, Branstad said he believed it was ultimately in the best interests of both countries to follow through with it.
“This was a long and difficult process,” he said. “They worked long and hard to reach an agreement that I think is fair and reciprocal. And it’s going to make a difference for both of our countries.”
With Post wires
New York Post
- Watch Davido Cruising A 15 Million Naira Can-AM Spyder F3 Trick (+Video)October 28, 2020In an ongoing video, Davido was spotted cruising a 15 Million Naira Can-AM Spyder F3 Trick. It would appear that the Musician is attempting to ...[Read more]
- See The Top 10 World Richest Actors 2020October 28, 2020It’s a well known truth that Hollywood and Bollywood are the top film industry in the world known for delivering the best movies as well as ...[Read more]
- ” Why are you hiding your shoe?” – Netizen asks Ozo After He Shared A PhotographOctober 27, 2020Ex Big Brother Naija housemate, Ozo shared a photograph on his Instagram page which didn’t show his shoes. Shockingly enough, that was what one ...[Read more]
- For The First Time Lagos State Judicial Panel Start Probing ProcessOctober 27, 2020The Nigerian legal board set up to enquire into police brutality for the first time today. The present sitting was pointed toward distinguishing ...[Read more]
- The Alafin of Oyo blames President Buhari over the Lekki toll gate shootingOctober 27, 2020Speaking at stakeholders meeting at the House Of Chiefs, the Alafin of Oyo blamed the events of 20th October on the president. According to him, his ...[Read more]
- FIFA President, Gianni Infantino tests positive for for CoronavirusOctober 27, 2020Unfortunate news coming out of the world of football has confirmed that the president of the world’s governing body for soccer has contracted ...[Read more]
- Pastor Enoch Adeboye Declares 30 days days of fasting and prayer to pray for the nationOctober 27, 2020Senior Pastor of Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCGG), Pastor Enoch Adeboye has declared 30 days of fasting and prayer for its members. Pastor ...[Read more]
- BBNaija Dorathy signs an ambassadorial deal with a herbal cosmetic company vspbotanicsOctober 27, 2020Former Big Brother Naija has signed an ambassadorial deal with a herbal cosmetic company vspbotanics. She informed her followers about the good news ...[Read more]
- Popular Nigerian comedian, Crazeclown bless God for suriviving a fatal accidentOctober 27, 2020After surviving what seemed like a fatal accident, the popular Nigerian comedian, Crazeclown is offering heartfelt thanks to God. Retelling his story ...[Read more]
- Dino Melaye has taken to social media to raise an alarm that a group of thugs are heading for his houseOctober 27, 2020Nigerian politician and senator, Dino Melaye has taken to social media to raise an alarm that a group of thugs are heading for his house. Taking to ...[Read more]