The highly criticized Paul Pogba was the game saver for Manchester United in a close clash with Burnley late Tuesday night, January 12.
United were the better side and made their greater ball possession pay in the second half, and for the first time since September 2017, United are top of the English Premier League.
This puts the Red Devils in a good position as they travel to Anfield on Sunday to face eternal rivals, Liverpool.
Bruno Fernandes, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial, and Edinson Cavani started together but Burnley came out more aggressively and pinned United to their half.
An interchange of fouls-one saw Robbie Brady initially shown a yellow card which was rescinded after a lengthy VAR check. Kevin Friend then showed Luke Shaw a yellow card and awarded a free kick to Burnley.
United captain, Harry Maguire, had the ball in the net in the 37th minute but referee Kevin Friend ruled it as a foul on Erik Pieters. A minute later, Cavani attempted a bicycle kick that struck Ben Mee at point-blank range, but Friend waved away shouts of a penalty.
Nick Pope made a great save from a Martial effort on the 45th minute. There were four minutes added on, but both teams went into the interval level with United having 66% of ball possession.
The second half saw United upping the ante and Cavani should have scored the opener six minutes into the half.
Another shot on target from Fernandes failed to trouble Burnley as United played more in the Burnley half. Fernandes had another shot on target on the hour but still could not trouble Pope.
A clean volley from Paul Pogba took a small touch of Mee to beat Pope in the 62nd minute.
After the goal, Pogba became United’s driving force, both offensively and defensively.
Tarkowski then had a great chance to equalise in the 89th, but the ball didn’t quite sit well for a better strike on goal. Martial had another chance to seal the points in added time, but he shot straight at Pope.
United held on for their seventh away win of the season and now sit at the top position on the table.
- Another big man succumbs to Covid-19 as Ghana mourns a lossIn Ghana, Health, NewsJanuary 18, 2021The Head of Corporate Finance at Fidelity Bank, Leornard Gikunu who is credited with key contribution to the economy of Ghana via the Energy Sector ...[Read more]
- Davido Displays His Football Skill As He Goes Balling (Video)In Celebrity NewsJanuary 18, 2021Nigerian music maestro, David Adeleke-Adedeji popularly known as Davido has been spotted balling on a football pitch. The “A Better Time” album owner ...[Read more]
- Fake NNPC staff defraud Nigerians of N32m for jobsIn Local NewsJanuary 18, 2021A trader, identified as Prince on Monday told an FCT High Court in Kubwa that a fake staff, Mrs Uju Okoye, allegedly defrauded him and his friends of ...[Read more]
- How to celebrate MLK Day all day with Morgan FreemanIn LifestyleJanuary 18, 2021Morgan Freeman is celebrating Martin Luther King Jr. all day on social media. The 83-year-old actor and voiceover artist has produced a series of 12 ...[Read more]
- Girl child education, necessary for national development – UBEC boss, BobboyiIn Education, NewsJanuary 18, 2021With the resumption of schools in Ondo State on Monday for new academic session, the COVID-19 protocols was partially adhered to by students, parents ...[Read more]
- NDLEA Chairman, Marwa resumes office, hints on plans against illicit drugsIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021The Chairman, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), retired Brig.-Gen. Buba Marwa has promised to reposition the agency for an efficient ...[Read more]
- Buhari appoints Abubakar Fikpo as NDE Acting DGIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021The Chairman, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), retired Brig.-Gen. Buba Marwa has promised to reposition the agency for an efficient ...[Read more]
- Elderly woman found strangled with phone cord around neck in BrooklynIn USAJanuary 18, 2021The 78-year-old Brooklyn woman who was found in her home with a phone cord wrapped around her neck was fatally strangled, cops said Monday ...[Read more]
- Uganda: Bobiwine accuses President Museveni of intimidationIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has advised the sick and older persons to stay away from worship centres. This is part of the guidelines ...[Read more]
- Governor Akeredolu orders herdsmen to vacate Ondo forest reservesIn NewsJanuary 18, 2021Governor Rotimi Akeredolu has ordered herders to vacate the forest reserves in Ondo state. The Governor issued the order ...[Read more]