Uche Secondus, National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Wednesday led a protest to the National Assembly, Abuja over the nomination of Lauretta Onochie, Senior Special Assistant on Social Media to President Muhammadu Buhari, as National Commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission representing the South-South.
Onochie was nominated as an INEC commissioner by President Muhammadu Buhari in October 2023.
Eight months after her nomination, Ahmad Lawan, Senate President, asked the Committee on INEC to commence the screening process.
The protesters who stormed the National Assembly on Wednesday urged the lawmakers to reject Onochie.
Secondus claimed her nomination goes contrary to the provisions of the constitution, which prohibits nomination of partisan people for the office.
“We are here protesting today to make the final point of total rejection of Lauretta Onochie, that she must be totally rejected by the Senate and National Assembly, she’s partisan.
“We don’t need INEC to be polluted. If she’s cleared, then she will be representing one party called APC (All Progressives Congress) and that can cause a lot of problems for our country,” the PDP chairman said.
Onochie is known for using her social media platforms to express her loyalty to the ruling APC and has been exposed to peddle propaganda and misinformation.
Newzandar News – News
- Magu: Buharis Sends Reply To PDP Over Corruption
- Nigeria is sliding, Buhari not in charge – PDP Chairman, Secondus
- COVID-19: PDP Chairman, Secondus attacks Buhari, says president killing Nigerians with taxes
- Don’t Force Your Aide, Lauretta Onochie On Nigerians As Electoral Commissioner, Northern Group Tells Buhari
- Redeem Your Lost Honour, Reject Buhari’s Aide, Onochie As Electoral Commissioner, Pyrates Confraternity Tells Senate
- PDP stakeholders accuse Uche Secondus of causing crisis in party
- Activists, Yesufu, Adeyanju Lead Protest At National Assembly Over Plot To Forge Electoral Amendment Bill
- INEC Chairman appoints New Resident Electoral Commissioner for Ekiti
- Oscars 2023 Nomination: Chadwick Boseman Receives A Posthumous Best Actor Nomination As Anthony Hopkins, Viola Davis And Olivia Colman Are Named In Top Categories
- Professor Ransford Gyampo Calls On Electoral Commission To Revisit Their ‘Poor’ Placement Of Electoral Booths