Good news, Roku users: you’ll finally have access to Peacock. After months of waiting, NBC has confirmed that its streaming service will officially be available to watch on Roku devices in the coming weeks.
“We are pleased Roku recognizes the value in making NBCUniversal’s incredible family of apps and programming, including Peacock, available to all of their users across the country,” NBCUniversal said in a statement today. “More than 15 million people signed up for Peacock since its national launch in July and we are thrilled millions more will now be able to access and enjoy Peacock along with other NBCUniversal apps on their favorite Roku devices. Roku’s incredible reach will not only help us ensure Peacock is available to our fans wherever they consume video but continue to expand NBCUniversal’s unrivaled digital presence across platforms.”
The news comes shortly after Comcast’s NBCUniversal publicly threatened to pull its apps from Roku over a dispute involving the Peacock deal terms. Comcast told Roku that they would pull more than 46 of their apps from Roku devices over the Peacock disagreement.
Before the deal, a Roku spokesperson said in a statement, “Comcast is removing the channels in order to try to force Roku to distribute its new Peacock service on unreasonable terms. While the NBC TV Everywhere apps represent an insignificant amount of streaming hours and revenue on our platform, we believe they are important to those consumers who use them, especially when so many Americans are at home.”
As for NBCU, a spokesperson said, “We are disappointed Roku is removing its users’ free access to NBCUniversal programming — 11 network apps, 12 NBC-owned station apps, 23 Telemundo-owned station apps — and continues to block access to the only free premium streaming service available in the market, Peacock. Roku’s unreasonable demands ultimately hurt both their consumers and their consumer equipment partners to whom they’ve promised access to all apps in the marketplace.”
Prior to striking a deal today, the two companies were clashing over advertising inventory, the percentage of ads Roku controls once they’re shown on its platform. Roku claims that a channel controls 70% of its ad inventory, leaving 30% to Roku, according to its website, but Comcast and NBCU both disagreed with the numbers. According to Roku, Peacock refused to grant any ad inventory to Roku on its ad-supported tiers, resulting in an impasse.
Although the process took months and got pretty nasty at times, we’re glad it’s all finally worked out. Peacock is still missing on another major streaming platform, though. Amazon’s Fire TV still hasn’t struck a deal with the NBC streaming service.
New York Post
- Medikal And Afia Schwarzenegger Are Set To Release A Song Titled “Pandemic”In GhanaDecember 2, 2020Afia Schwarzenegger and rapper Medikal are set to release a song titled “Pandemic” and as the title goes, it’s obviously going to be a pandemic. ...[Read more]
- PHOTOS: Linda Ikeji Gifts Herself A Range Rover Autobiography Months After Buying 85 Pair Of Expensive ShoesIn GhanaDecember 2, 2020Nigerian billionaire Blogger, Linda Ikeji, has gifted herself a brand new Range Rover Autobiography months after spoiling herself with 85 pair of ...[Read more]
- RED And Mavin Records Set To Drop New Single And Remix On HIV/AIDS FightIn Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020Africa’s most influential record label, Mavin Records, and (RED) are joining forces to fight two pandemics; AIDS and COVID-19, according to Don Jazzy ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels Reacts To Reports Claiming She Was Driving Under Influence Of Drugs And AlcoholIn Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020Actress Regina Daniels has reacted to claims that she drove under the influence of drugs and alcohol after a video of her went viral on social media ...[Read more]
- “Sometimes I Wonder If God Is Laughing At Me”- Vee Tells FansIn BBNaija, Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020Former BBNaija housemate, Vee, has stated that she sometimes reflects on what God will be thinking about her when she worries about petty things. Vee ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels Massive Weight Loss In New Photo Raises ConcernIn Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020Fans of Actress Regina Daniels have expressed their concern about her massive weight loss after she had her first child about 5 months ago. In a new ...[Read more]
- Ex-FBI director James Comey to teach at Columbia Law SchoolIn USADecember 2, 2020Columbia University announced on Tuesday that former FBI director James Comey will be teaching there next year. Comey is joining the Reuben Mark ...[Read more]
- “I Don’t Like Davido, I Love Him”- Omah Lay Publicly Declares His Love For DavidoIn Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020Nigerian singer and songwriter Omah Lay has declared publicly that he loves Davido not only for what he does but who he is. He made this known during ...[Read more]
- Meet The Beautiful Sister Of Burna Boy Who Is Also SingerIn Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020Burna Boy is one of the most popular and well-to-do musicians in the Nigerian entertainment industry, the musician is known for his music and ...[Read more]
- Upstate NY mayor charged with crack possession after police pursuitIn USADecember 2, 2020The mayor of a small upstate New York village was arrested Tuesday for allegedly possessing crack cocaine, cops said. Massena Mayor Tim Currier was ...[Read more]