Good news, Roku users: you’ll finally have access to Peacock. After months of waiting, NBC has confirmed that its streaming service will officially be available to watch on Roku devices in the coming weeks.
“We are pleased Roku recognizes the value in making NBCUniversal’s incredible family of apps and programming, including Peacock, available to all of their users across the country,” NBCUniversal said in a statement today. “More than 15 million people signed up for Peacock since its national launch in July and we are thrilled millions more will now be able to access and enjoy Peacock along with other NBCUniversal apps on their favorite Roku devices. Roku’s incredible reach will not only help us ensure Peacock is available to our fans wherever they consume video but continue to expand NBCUniversal’s unrivaled digital presence across platforms.”
The news comes shortly after Comcast’s NBCUniversal publicly threatened to pull its apps from Roku over a dispute involving the Peacock deal terms. Comcast told Roku that they would pull more than 46 of their apps from Roku devices over the Peacock disagreement.
Before the deal, a Roku spokesperson said in a statement, “Comcast is removing the channels in order to try to force Roku to distribute its new Peacock service on unreasonable terms. While the NBC TV Everywhere apps represent an insignificant amount of streaming hours and revenue on our platform, we believe they are important to those consumers who use them, especially when so many Americans are at home.”
As for NBCU, a spokesperson said, “We are disappointed Roku is removing its users’ free access to NBCUniversal programming — 11 network apps, 12 NBC-owned station apps, 23 Telemundo-owned station apps — and continues to block access to the only free premium streaming service available in the market, Peacock. Roku’s unreasonable demands ultimately hurt both their consumers and their consumer equipment partners to whom they’ve promised access to all apps in the marketplace.”
Prior to striking a deal today, the two companies were clashing over advertising inventory, the percentage of ads Roku controls once they’re shown on its platform. Roku claims that a channel controls 70% of its ad inventory, leaving 30% to Roku, according to its website, but Comcast and NBCU both disagreed with the numbers. According to Roku, Peacock refused to grant any ad inventory to Roku on its ad-supported tiers, resulting in an impasse.
Although the process took months and got pretty nasty at times, we’re glad it’s all finally worked out. Peacock is still missing on another major streaming platform, though. Amazon’s Fire TV still hasn’t struck a deal with the NBC streaming service.
New York Post
- Nollywood actor, Clem Ohameze Opens Up As He Details His Experience With Hooligans Who Assaulted Him In UyoOctober 27, 2020Famous Nollywood actor, Clem Ohameze has at long last opened up as he details his experience with hooligans who assaulted him in Uyo a week ago. He ...[Read more]
- 19-year-old Girl aAddicted To Married Men, Shares Her Sad StoryOctober 27, 2020A 19-year-old young lady who is thinking that its hard to oppose wedded men due to the endowments she gets from them, has shouted out for help. The ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Rapper, Falz Celebrates his 30th Birthday Today (+Photo)October 27, 2020Nigerian rapper, Folarin Falana prevalently realized as Falz is celebrating his 30th birthday celebration today, October 27th. The artist shared the ...[Read more]
- Ebonyi State Police Arrest Couple Who Chained 8-year-old House helpOctober 27, 2020Agents of the Ebonyi State Police Command have captured a couple, Philip and Agatha Iboko, for supposedly tormenting their eight-year-old househelp, ...[Read more]
- The 9 Brigade Of The Nigerian Army Arrest Corporal Who Flogged A Lady At ATM Stand In LagosOctober 27, 2020The 9 Brigade of the Nigerian Army has captured a Corporal, Omoh F, who was caught on video beating a lady at an Oshodi part of the United Bank of ...[Read more]
- Residents Cart Away #Covid-19 Palliatives In Abuja (+Video)October 27, 2020A few occupants of Abuja who raged a stockroom in the Gwagwalada Area gathering in the Federal Capital Territory on Monday October 26, to truck ...[Read more]
- EndSARS: Let’s Continue To Spread Awareness – DJ CuppyOctober 26, 2020DJ Cuppy has taken to online media to encourage Nigerians to proceed with the protest against SARS and police brutality in the nation. As per her, ...[Read more]
- #EndSARS: Famous Nigerian comedian AY Blasts Those Asking Why No Celebrity Died During ProtestsOctober 26, 2020Famous Nigerian comedian, Ayo Makun better known as AY, has gone hard on individuals inquiring as to why no big name died during #EndSARS fights held ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Man Reveals How An Iron protector Saved His Shop From Being Looted In Imo State (+Photos)October 26, 2020A Nigerian businessman, Chima Smart Nwaneri, has taken to Twitter to uncover how an iron defender kept his shop from being burglarized in Owerri, Imo ...[Read more]
- Popular Nigerian Cross-dresser, Bobrisky Reveals Two Things He Can Never DoOctober 26, 2020Nigerian cross-dresser, Okuneye Idris better realized as Bobrisky has uncovered two things he can never be seen doing. He made this disclosure in ...[Read more]