LIMA, Peru — Peruvian President Martín Vizcarra’s job is on the line Friday as opposition lawmakers push through an impeachment hearing criticized as a hasty and poorly timed ouster attempt in one of the countries hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic.
Lawmakers appeared to be far short of the two-thirds majority vote required to remove Vizcarra from office, but even if he dodges the impeachment attempt, analysts warned that he would not escape the ordeal entirely unscathed.
His ability to carry forward the anti-corruption agenda he has sought to make the hallmark of his short administration could be further jeopardized if Vizcarra is perceived as having engaged in influence peddling himself.
“His credibility in carrying through that agenda is already problematic,” said Jo-Marie Burt, a senior fellow with the Washington Office on Latin America. “This really hangs in the balance.”
The political turmoil rocking Peru has briefly distracted attention from one of the world’s worst coronavirus outbreaks and involves a cast of characters that could easily fit into a soap opera.
At the center of the ordeal is Vizcarra’s relationship with a little-known musician known as Richard Swing and nearly $50,000 in questionable contracts that he was given by the Ministry of Culture for activities like motivational speaking.
A covert audio recording shared by Edgar Alarcón — a lawmaker himself charged with embezzlement — appears to show Vizcarra coordinating a defense strategy with two aides, trying to get their stories straight on how many times the musician had visited him.
Vizcarra insists no illegal activity took place and he has not been charged.
Though Vizcarra is entitled to speak to Congress in his own defense, it was widely expected that he would be represented by an attorney. But while analysts have criticized the rushed procedure in which the impeachment proceeding was initiated within hours of the audio’s release, many agreed that the president owes Peruvians an explanation.
“The best thing the president could do is go to Congress, explain the audios and go hibernate,” said Alonso Cárdenas, a politics professor at the Antonio Ruíz de Montoya university in Lima. “Let his ministers take the spotlight until his government is up.”
As lawmakers began arriving at Congress Friday morning, several expressed doubt that the impeachment would succeed but cautioned that anything could happen.
“I’m hoping nothing changes,” legislator Gino Costa told local media.
Vizcarra became president in 2018 after Pedro Pablo Kuczynski resigned the presidency under pressure by Congress after the discovery of about $782,000 in undisclosed payments to his private consulting firm by Brazilian construction giant Odebrecht, which is at the center of a regionwide corruption scandal.
New York Post
- 19-year-old Girl aAddicted To Married Men, Shares Her Sad StoryOctober 27, 2020A 19-year-old young lady who is thinking that its hard to oppose wedded men due to the endowments she gets from them, has shouted out for help. The ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Rapper, Falz Celebrates his 30th Birthday Today (+Photo)October 27, 2020Nigerian rapper, Folarin Falana prevalently realized as Falz is celebrating his 30th birthday celebration today, October 27th. The artist shared the ...[Read more]
- Ebonyi State Police Arrest Couple Who Chained 8-year-old House helpOctober 27, 2020Agents of the Ebonyi State Police Command have captured a couple, Philip and Agatha Iboko, for supposedly tormenting their eight-year-old househelp, ...[Read more]
- The 9 Brigade Of The Nigerian Army Arrest Corporal Who Flogged A Lady At ATM Stand In LagosOctober 27, 2020The 9 Brigade of the Nigerian Army has captured a Corporal, Omoh F, who was caught on video beating a lady at an Oshodi part of the United Bank of ...[Read more]
- Residents Cart Away #Covid-19 Palliatives In Abuja (+Video)October 27, 2020A few occupants of Abuja who raged a stockroom in the Gwagwalada Area gathering in the Federal Capital Territory on Monday October 26, to truck ...[Read more]
- EndSARS: Let’s Continue To Spread Awareness – DJ CuppyOctober 26, 2020DJ Cuppy has taken to online media to encourage Nigerians to proceed with the protest against SARS and police brutality in the nation. As per her, ...[Read more]
- #EndSARS: Famous Nigerian comedian AY Blasts Those Asking Why No Celebrity Died During ProtestsOctober 26, 2020Famous Nigerian comedian, Ayo Makun better known as AY, has gone hard on individuals inquiring as to why no big name died during #EndSARS fights held ...[Read more]
- Nigerian Man Reveals How An Iron protector Saved His Shop From Being Looted In Imo State (+Photos)October 26, 2020A Nigerian businessman, Chima Smart Nwaneri, has taken to Twitter to uncover how an iron defender kept his shop from being burglarized in Owerri, Imo ...[Read more]
- Popular Nigerian Cross-dresser, Bobrisky Reveals Two Things He Can Never DoOctober 26, 2020Nigerian cross-dresser, Okuneye Idris better realized as Bobrisky has uncovered two things he can never be seen doing. He made this disclosure in ...[Read more]
- Chief of Army Staff Responds To Travel Ban calls By International BodiesOctober 26, 2020Tukur Buratai, Chief of Army Staff, has responded to calls by International bodies requiring a movement boycott to be put on some military officials ...[Read more]