LIMA, Peru — Peruvian President Martín Vizcarra’s job is on the line Friday as opposition lawmakers push through an impeachment hearing criticized as a hasty and poorly timed ouster attempt in one of the countries hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic.
Lawmakers appeared to be far short of the two-thirds majority vote required to remove Vizcarra from office, but even if he dodges the impeachment attempt, analysts warned that he would not escape the ordeal entirely unscathed.
His ability to carry forward the anti-corruption agenda he has sought to make the hallmark of his short administration could be further jeopardized if Vizcarra is perceived as having engaged in influence peddling himself.
“His credibility in carrying through that agenda is already problematic,” said Jo-Marie Burt, a senior fellow with the Washington Office on Latin America. “This really hangs in the balance.”
The political turmoil rocking Peru has briefly distracted attention from one of the world’s worst coronavirus outbreaks and involves a cast of characters that could easily fit into a soap opera.
At the center of the ordeal is Vizcarra’s relationship with a little-known musician known as Richard Swing and nearly $50,000 in questionable contracts that he was given by the Ministry of Culture for activities like motivational speaking.
A covert audio recording shared by Edgar Alarcón — a lawmaker himself charged with embezzlement — appears to show Vizcarra coordinating a defense strategy with two aides, trying to get their stories straight on how many times the musician had visited him.
Vizcarra insists no illegal activity took place and he has not been charged.
Though Vizcarra is entitled to speak to Congress in his own defense, it was widely expected that he would be represented by an attorney. But while analysts have criticized the rushed procedure in which the impeachment proceeding was initiated within hours of the audio’s release, many agreed that the president owes Peruvians an explanation.
“The best thing the president could do is go to Congress, explain the audios and go hibernate,” said Alonso Cárdenas, a politics professor at the Antonio Ruíz de Montoya university in Lima. “Let his ministers take the spotlight until his government is up.”
As lawmakers began arriving at Congress Friday morning, several expressed doubt that the impeachment would succeed but cautioned that anything could happen.
“I’m hoping nothing changes,” legislator Gino Costa told local media.
Vizcarra became president in 2018 after Pedro Pablo Kuczynski resigned the presidency under pressure by Congress after the discovery of about $782,000 in undisclosed payments to his private consulting firm by Brazilian construction giant Odebrecht, which is at the center of a regionwide corruption scandal.
New York Post
- Meet Alhaji Abdulmunaf Yunusa Sarina, The Nigerian Billionaire With 16 Beautiful DaughtersIn Celebrity NewsDecember 3, 2020Alhaji Abdulmunaf Yunusa Sarina is a Nigerian Billionaire and Owner of Azman Air. He’s among the many Nigerian Billionaires running Nigeria. – ...[Read more]
- Rochas Okorocha advises President Buhari to sack everyone he appointed to work with himIn Boko HaramDecember 3, 2020Former Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha has advised President Muhammadu Buhari to sack everyone he appointed to work with him. Okorocha, a former ...[Read more]
- Adom TV Serves Notice Of Apology To President Akufo-Addo Over Airing Of ‘Bribe Video’In GhanaDecember 3, 2020Adom TV has served notice of apology to President Akufo-Addo to the public for airing a said corruption expose which implicated him in accepting ...[Read more]
- “Apologies Accepted” – Peter Okoye Forgives Odemwingie For Calling Him A Thief On Social Media (Photo)In Celebrity NewsDecember 3, 2020Peter Okoye of Psquare fame, has finally settled his differences with ex-Nigerian footballer, Peter Osaze Odemwingie, after a long day of throwing ...[Read more]
- Photos Of Nkechi Blessing’s New Boyfriend Finally Pops UpIn Celebrity NewsDecember 3, 2020Nigerian actress, Nkechi Sunday Blessing, has decided to hide the identity of the man she’s currently dating after her relationship with her ...[Read more]
- “We Can Share My Husband” – Woman Reacts After Linda Ikeji Said She Is Looking for A HusbandIn Celebrity NewsDecember 3, 2020Celebrated blogger Linda Ikeji has gotten her followers talking after she made a revelation about the status of her love life on Instagram which goes ...[Read more]
- Resign Now-Northern Elders Forum insists President Buhari is not competent enough to handle Northern Security IsuessIn Boko HaramDecember 3, 2020Northern Elders Forum, NEF, has maintained that President Muhammadu Buhari should resign and allow a more competent hand to pilot the affairs of the ...[Read more]
- Davido Living Up To His Riches, Having First Class Enjoyment With FriendsIn Celebrity NewsDecember 3, 2020Singer Davido who is known to be a person who loves to have fun, have stormed the internet with a first-class enjoyment he is having with some ...[Read more]
- Proud Boys join protest at defiant Staten Island bar closed over COVID-19 violationsIn USADecember 3, 2020Hundreds of people on Wednesday night — including members of the right-wing group Proud Boys — protested the closure of a Staten Island bar that ...[Read more]
- “I Am Thick In The Thighs And Thin In The Waist,” Says Nengi As She Puts Flaunts Her Banging Body (Photo)In BBNaija, Celebrity NewsDecember 3, 2020BBNaija star, Nengi, has caused a massive stir on social media after she shared a mouth-watering photo of herself flaunting her beautiful body. The ...[Read more]