The Akwa Ibom Police Command has denied killing four persons in Oron Local Government Area of the state.
The spokesman for the command, SP Odiko Macdon, made the denial in a statement he released to newsmen in Uyo, the state capital, on Tuesday.
Macdon said, “The attention of the Police Command in Akwa Ibom has been drawn to some social media publications alleging that four persons were killed at Oron by the police.
“For the records, the police were on a specified assignment to effect the arrest of a wanted suspect.
“The said suspect raised an alarm which led to an attack on the officers and an attempt to snatch their rifles from them.’’
Macdon explained that the officers resisted the attempt but in the ensuing struggle, three persons were hurt and taken to the hospital.
The police spokesman, however, said that one of them was confirmed dead while on admission.
He also explained that during the struggle, the suspect escaped with handcuffs.
- Two Persons Killed In Akwa Ibom Cult Conflict – Police
- Unidentified persons block Akwa Ibom varsity gate with mock coffin, traditional injunction
- Council boss condemns killing of police officers in Ini, Akwa Ibom
- Trouble As Akwa Ibom Coalition Storms UN, Demands Ibom Republic (video)
- Akwa Ibom coalition storms United Nations, demands Ibom Republic
- Four suspected sea pirates killed in gun battle with Marine Police in Akwa Ibom
- Police kill four suspected sea pirates, armed robber in Akwa Ibom
- Graphic: Akwa Ibom man commits suicide after killing his wife over alleged infidelity
- COVID-19: Akwa Ibom discharges nursing mother, four others
- COVID-19: Nursing mother, four others discharged in Akwa Ibom