President Muhammadu Buhari has come under fire for allegedly authorizing the use of the Presidential Jet for the wedding of one of his aides, Bashir Ahmad.
Reno Omokri, in s statement to newsmen on Saturday called on the President to refund the National Treasury the cost of using the Presidential Jet for his PA’s wedding.
President Buhari’s assistant on New Media, Bashir Ahmad wedded in Katsina on Friday and the Presidential Jet was said to have been used to ferry him and others in the Presidential Villa to the venue.
The Presidency is said to have denied using the jet to ferry Bashir, saying that it only flew the President’s representatives, but Omokri insists the excuse is flawed and shows that after five years in office, Buhari still does not understand statecraft.
Omokri, a former aide to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan noted that a Presidential jet is not the property of the President but of the nation, for use in the ferrying him (the President) to and fro his official functions.
The former Presidential aide recalled that a similar incident happened in South Africa when on September 12, 2020, it was discovered that President Cyril Ramaphosa had allowed his Minister of Defence, Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, to travel with South Africa’s Presidential Jet for an official meeting of the African National Congress.
According to him, “Once this came to light, the Julius Malema led Economic Freedom Fighters pressure group, insisted that the President and his party must reimburse the national treasury for the cost of the trip, as well as suspend the Defence Minister.
“In less than 48 hours, the ANC capitulated and reimbursed the national treasury, and the fate of the Defence Minister is hanging in the balance.
“Also, the Office of the Public Protector, Busisiwe Mkhwebane, is investigating the ANC and the government over the incident. That is how it should be.
“It is a significant breach of his fiduciary duties for General Buhari to give out the Presidential jet to his representatives to his Personal Assistant, Bashir Ahmed’s wedding in Katsina on Friday, September 27, 2020. This is a private event that has no bearing on Nigeria.
“And the excuse given by the Presidency that the jet did not ferry Bashir, but only flew the President’s representatives is flawed and shows that after five years in office, General Buhari still does not understand statecraft.
“If this had occurred in the United Kingdom, it could have caused the government to fall. I understand that standards have slipped in Nigeria since 2015, but we must at least pretend to be a civilised nation.
“The Buhari administration keeps complaining that times are hard, but they are living large at our expense and Nigerians should not take this lying low from a government that just increased fuel price and power tariff.
“The wedding of your subordinates is a private affair. It is not an official function.
“I, therefore, call on General Buhari to reimburse the national treasury for the cost of fuelling the Presidential jet to Katsina for Bashir Ahmad’s wedding, as well as the cost of paying the crew.
“I also call on the President to suspend all public officials involved in this abuse of office. Failure to do so is proof positive that the President is not in charge of his government and his anti-corruption war is, in reality, an anti-opposition war.”
- NYSC Arrests 43 Hoodlums Over looting at Kubwa Orientation CampOctober 28, 202043 hoodlums have reportedly been arrested with some items recovered by the National Youth Service Corps(NYSC), following their attack in their Abuja ...[Read more]
- Watch how Falz cut his birthday cake yesterdayOctober 28, 2020Nigerian rapper Falz turned 30 years yesterday, October 27, and he celebrated his birthday in grand style. In the video sighted online, the rapper ...[Read more]
- Watch Davido Cruising A 15 Million Naira Can-AM Spyder F3 Trick (+Video)October 28, 2020In an ongoing video, Davido was spotted cruising a 15 Million Naira Can-AM Spyder F3 Trick. It would appear that the Musician is attempting to ...[Read more]
- See The Top 10 World Richest Actors 2020October 28, 2020It’s a well known truth that Hollywood and Bollywood are the top film industry in the world known for delivering the best movies as well as ...[Read more]
- ” Why are you hiding your shoe?” – Netizen asks Ozo After He Shared A PhotographOctober 27, 2020Ex Big Brother Naija housemate, Ozo shared a photograph on his Instagram page which didn’t show his shoes. Shockingly enough, that was what one ...[Read more]
- For The First Time Lagos State Judicial Panel Start Probing ProcessOctober 27, 2020The Nigerian legal board set up to enquire into police brutality for the first time today. The present sitting was pointed toward distinguishing ...[Read more]
- The Alafin of Oyo blames President Buhari over the Lekki toll gate shootingOctober 27, 2020Speaking at stakeholders meeting at the House Of Chiefs, the Alafin of Oyo blamed the events of 20th October on the president. According to him, his ...[Read more]
- FIFA President, Gianni Infantino tests positive for for CoronavirusOctober 27, 2020Unfortunate news coming out of the world of football has confirmed that the president of the world’s governing body for soccer has contracted ...[Read more]
- Pastor Enoch Adeboye Declares 30 days days of fasting and prayer to pray for the nationOctober 27, 2020Senior Pastor of Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCGG), Pastor Enoch Adeboye has declared 30 days of fasting and prayer for its members. Pastor ...[Read more]
- BBNaija Dorathy signs an ambassadorial deal with a herbal cosmetic company vspbotanicsOctober 27, 2020Former Big Brother Naija has signed an ambassadorial deal with a herbal cosmetic company vspbotanics. She informed her followers about the good news ...[Read more]