Public Enemy is still ready to “Fight the Power.”
Thirty-one years after that iconic track dropped, the legendary Long Island posse returns Friday with a new LP, “What You Gonna Do When the Grid Goes Down?” It marks the group’s return to Def Jam, the iconic hip-hop label that they helped build, and features “Fight the Power: Remix 2020,” an all-star update of the 1989 anthem.
The Post spoke to PE leader Chuck D, 60, shortly after Wednesday’s controversial Breonna Taylor decision. Here, he sounds off on being an “OG” in the Black Lives Matter movement, why “Fight the Power” is still relevant and getting the surviving Beastie Boys to record again.
How does it feel that “Fight the Power” is still so relevant, maybe even more so, 31 years later?
The bones of the song are supposed to carry it through decades, and [it doesn’t] have to be currently popular to be relevant. Philosophically, people come to me and say, “Aren’t you a little dismayed that not a lot has changed since ’89?” … It still smells the same odor. This is why a song could make you think.
When the Black Lives Matter movement intensified this year, what did you think about Public Enemy’s responsibility to be a voice?
Your OG status shouldn’t overshadow the movement of young energy. I believe young energy is leadership. I believe old energy is counsel and advice and direction … Based on the atrocities and exposure of what happened to George Floyd and Breonna Taylor and so on — especially with [Wednesday’s] decision — it was a reachable moment and a teachable moment. When you have a side that basically blatantly says that you don’t matter, that’s just spreading hatred, man.
You take aim at Trump on “State of the Union (STFU).” Is it safe to say Biden’s got your vote?
It’s the side that you’re on versus the side that hates you. There’s no time for microscopic differences, man.
It’s a great moment on the new album when you rock with Mike D and Ad-Rock, from the Beastie Boys, and Run-DMC on “Public Enemy Number Won” as middle-aged rappers now.
It’s a moment, man. It wasn’t easy, because the Beastie Boys have a pact that they’re not gonna be rhyming again [after Adam “MCA” Yauch’s death in 2012]. And what they were able to give to that song, to me, was just amazing … Run-DMC, Jam Master Jay, Ad-Rock, Mike D and MCA, they had brought me into the Def Jam thing. We’ve come full circle to do “Public Enemy Number Won.” It was the perfect 60th birthday present.
All of you guys came up during this golden era in the New York rap scene. What was in the air that made it so special?
The thing that made it so special is nobody knew what was next. And you did it scraping and carving at the future [with] what your claws could bear, you know? And that was the joy. There’s a beauty in clawing, scratching for the future, for the love of it.
What do you think about the state of today’s New York rap scene?
New York’s rap scene is always evolving; it’s cool … New York City — and the surrounding metropolitan area — knows rap music, and they’re not just gonna accept any ol’ anything because it’s popular across whatever.
How do you feel about being an elder statesman in the game now?
Like with golf, I’m part of the senior circuit … We do our own thing in our own way.
What did you do to celebrate your 60th birthday last month?
I celebrated with close fam in silence. I like to listen more than talk. And it’s good to be silent more than run my mouth.
New York Post
- Afia Schwarzenegger Reveals She’s Done With Mr. Drew In A Recent VideoOctober 31, 2020Afia Schwarzenegger and Mr. Drew’s sentimental relationship appears to have reached a conclusion following a dubious response of Afia in a video that ...[Read more]
- Nengi Bags Another Ambassadorial Deal With Popular Brand Remy MartinOctober 31, 2020Previous Big Brother Naija housemate, Rebecca Nengi Hampson has stowed an ambassadorial arrangement with mainstream brand Remy Martin. A definitive ...[Read more]
- Billionaire Wife Regina Daniels Shares Adorable Photos With Son MunirOctober 31, 2020Regina Daniels, the wonderful spouse of Ned Nwoko has started responses with her image of herself and child, Munir, glancing lovable in new outfits. ...[Read more]
- See what you don’t know about the richest city in the worldOctober 31, 2020New York City is currently the richest city in the world. This is mainly because the city is the home to 85 billionaires with the total net worth of ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniel’s mother, Rita Daniel took to her IG to celebrate her youngest daughterOctober 31, 2020Veteran Nollywood actress and movie producer, Rita Daniels has taken to Instagram to reach out to her , Destiny stating that she misses her presence. ...[Read more]
- Wizkid ‘Made In Lagos’ album is already topping various music platforms in less than 48 hours after the releaseOctober 31, 2020Nigerian singer and songwriter Wizkid ‘Made In Lagos’ album is already topping various music platforms chart in less than 48 hours after the release. ...[Read more]
- “A very big congrats to comedienne”, Regina Daniels congratulates Taaooma as her boyfriend proposedOctober 31, 2020Nollywood Actress Regina Daniels has taken to social media to react to comedian Taaooma’s boyfriend marriage proposal to her which went viral. ...[Read more]
- Ini Edo blast Desmond Elliot, Tells him to man upOctober 31, 2020Renowned Nollywood actress and brand influencer Ini Edo has taken to her social media page to hit hard at her colleague actor Desmond Elliot ...[Read more]
- Nollywood actor and comedian, Williams Uchemba unviels his wedding plansOctober 31, 2020Popular Nollywood actor and comedian, Williams Uchemba has recently taken to his social media page to unveil plans of his upcoming marriage with his ...[Read more]
- blogger shows the face of the child Desmond Elliot has with another woman outside wedlock(Pictures)October 31, 2020One blogger, Gist Lover has shown the face of the child Desmond Elliot has with another woman outside wedlock. Desmond Elliot is now on the public ...[Read more]